• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New smoker - KJJ

MCQSmoker

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 11, 2021
Got my hands on a new smoker during Black Friday - Kamado Joe Jr.

Feels like a solid bit of kit, lot bigger in person than in the pictures. Never had a Kamado but always wanted one, think I’ll have some fun with it
7CD4EF29-9573-4AD1-B211-C81DE71C0D8C.jpeg
27F74E26-8255-4324-979E-4567BF2F0C24.jpeg

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
Welcome to smf, looks like some good eats in the near future

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
A lot of people love them!
Looking forward to seeing it in action, with pics of course!
Al

MCQSmoker

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 11, 2021
A lot of people love them!
Looking forward to seeing it in action, with pics of course!
Al
Thanks Al, there’ll be plenty of pics when I get to grips! They seem to be popular, a couple of YouTube videos convinced me to push the button

bbqbrett

Master of the Pit
Joined Jan 17, 2013
Never owned one of those but I got to play with one a couple of times. They are pretty heavy duty and hold their heat really well.

MCQSmoker

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 11, 2021
Never owned one of those but I got to play with one a couple of times. They are pretty heavy duty and hold their heat really well.
Yeah it’s definitely heavy duty, even better than I was expecting in person. I had a cheap offset before that spilled out heat constantly so this will be a welcome change

rileybowler

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 1, 2015

Feels like a solid bit of kit, lot bigger in person than in the pictures. Never had a Kamado but always wanted one, think I’ll have some fun with it View attachment 518262 View attachment 518261
Since nobody volunteered to test the food on the first cook, I feel it is my duty to volunteer.

Feels like a solid bit of kit, lot bigger in person than in the pictures. Never had a Kamado but always wanted one, think I’ll have some fun with it View attachment 518262 View attachment 518261
Thanks both!
I was very curious as to what this Joe Jr. could do being so small so did some research and looked at a few videos and I can say that I was truly amazed at all this little rascal could do . This guy used this thing to fix meals for his family for a week and I was impressed and the quality of the unit is great.

MCQSmoker

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 11, 2021
Since nobody volunteered to test the food on the first cook, I feel it is my duty to volunteer.

I was very curious as to what this Joe Jr. could do being so small so did some research and looked at a few videos and I can say that I was truly amazed at all this little rascal could do . This guy used this thing to fix meals for his family for a week and I was impressed and the quality of the unit is great.
i was the same - it sounds like we watched the same video - Smoking Dad BBQ? That video definitely convinced me to push the button. I’d been wanting a Kamado style grill for ages but the price point of the larger models put me off. In person it really is bigger and stronger than I was expecting, really good value for the price.

rileybowler

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 1, 2015
i was the same - it sounds like we watched the same video - Smoking Dad BBQ? That video definitely convinced me to push the button. I’d been wanting a Kamado style grill for ages but the price point of the larger models put me off. In person it really is bigger and stronger than I was expecting, really good value for the price.
I have 3 smokers now but I may have to bite the bullet and get one

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
Years ago, I started my smoking on an original clay kamado. Once you got that thing to temp it was a 2 briquette feed to hold the heat steady.
Yeah it’s definitely heavy duty, even better than I was expecting in person. I had a cheap offset before that spilled out heat constantly so this will be a welcome change

MCQSmoker

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 11, 2021
I have 3 smokers now but I may have to bite the bullet and get one
nice, you’ve got a collection going! I’d recommend smoking dad bbqs video on it on YouTube, will give you a good overview of it

MCQSmoker

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 11, 2021
Years ago, I started my smoking on an original clay kamado. Once you got that thing to temp it was a 2 briquette feed to hold the heat steady.
Awesome, this is one of the things that always appealed to me about a Kamado - set and forget. Hope I can leave a cook on before work and have it ready for when I finish!

GonnaSmoke

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2018
Hope I can leave a cook on before work and have it ready for when I finish!
Not sure how long you're talking about, but a word of caution, this forum is "littered" with threads about smokers going out while unattended for one reason or another...

MCQSmoker

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 11, 2021
Not sure how long you're talking about, but a word of caution, this forum is "littered" with threads about smokers going out while unattended for one reason or another...
I’ve seen! I’ll build up my confidence with it before I give that a test run

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 12, 2019
Much the the disapproval (?) of my wife, I grabbed one of these on that deal too. It's the easiest of my cookers to just set and forget. Good luck and enjoy this!

MCQSmoker

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 11, 2021
Much the the disapproval (?) of my wife, I grabbed one of these on that deal too. It's the easiest of my cookers to just set and forget. Good luck and enjoy this!
thank you! Aha well done ! Pleased to hear your verdict , an easy set and forget was what I really wanted out of this smoker

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.