New Smoker in Central Florida...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ridnsmoke

Original poster
Jun 18, 2016
Hello, everyone.

Not yet retirement age Smoker wannabe, virgin (smoker), babe in the woods, etc.  glad to have found this forum so early in the game.

My wonderful bride presented me with a MasterPro Dual Fuel for fathers day.  After reading thru a few threads here, seems it's not a bad choice and I'm determined to make it work.  I have my first smoke going after doing the first burn-in this morning.  Starting off with some chicken wings - looking for a quick result.  :-)  They've been in about 45 minutes.

My first question will have to do with finding a decent thermometer, but I'll start a new thread somewhere else for that.

RidnSmoke

(Picked my handle combining the other consumer of my free time - my motorcycle - a 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic)

Hello and welcome to you.

Congratulations on that shiny new smoker.

The Mavericks are a good choice for a thermometer.

I did some wings myself this weekend, very good.

Hope yours are too.

Enjoy.

Ed

Reactions: ridnsmoke
Also Pick up a good pair of Silicone insulated gloves. You'll be glad you did. And welcome to the best site around. With all that it has to offer. You'll be glad you found this site.

welcome1.gif

Glad to have you with us!

Al

Welcome from SC. It's good to have you here. This is a really great site with lots of really good folks who are always ready to share their ideas, recipes and tips. All you have to do I ask and keep on reading. A good instant therm is a thermowand and for your cooking chamber, I'd go for River Country. There are others out there that are a lot more money, but not any better in performance.

Good luck and good smokin', Joe.

Thanks all for the welcome; I've searched here first for every question I've had so far and found an answer.

Joe Black, thanks so much for the thermometer recommendation; it's just what I'm looking for!  My first smoke was a bunch of wings using only the door mounted thermo.  The wings came out great even though I'm sure now  the temp was over 300.  

I didn't trust it so I bought an oven unit and placed it on the shelf just inside the door for my second smoke - a spatched chicken.  The difference was 100 degrees!.     The spatched chicken was awesome.   I'm building up my skills and feel for my smoker to get to spares, butts, and brisket.

Good smokin to all !

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from another hot day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky