New Smoker Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stringcheese paul

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 7, 2007
So it has been a really long time since I have posted on here....
I am having a BBQ on Saturday and am going to buy a GOSM for it. It has been so long since I have bought one that I forgot what I need to do to 'prep' it for its first smoke. Does anyone have some advice?

I ran mine at 200 for about 90 minutes for initial paint cure, then 300 for another hour with alot of dry mesquite smoke for the last hour. Used the same type wood chips for the first few smokes. Worked fine for me. I guess the theory is that the smoke will seasoning the smoker so it doesn't absorb your wood smoke when you cook.

Enjoy the weekend smoke!

Eric

The guys have just about answered your question, just be sure you use a calibrated therm for cabinet/rack temps. The one on the door is usually not reliable. You might also use something else besides the cast iron firebox, sometimes it just doesn't ventilate very well. Good luck my friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky