New Smoker has Arrived

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rtkiii

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Mishawaka, Indiana
Hello all,

Always loved smoked food but never wanted to do it since it seemed like such an artform and chore.  But a buddy of mine brought over his Brinkmann Bullet style charcoal smoker this past Super Bowl and made some chicken wings with easy preperation...and they blew my mind.  So I had to have one.  I went out and bought the same model(Red?  I did not look at the actual model number) but with the electric option.  Before anyone says anything...I know...it's the easy way out but I have a 16 month daughter and sometimes taking time to monitor the coals it too time consuming...so I choose this model.  I can do Charcoal as well, which I will use this summer for sure.

So far I have smoked Chicken wings(AMAZING!!!), Ribs(GREAT!) and chicken breat, awful  :) - all with Teriayki chips -  I am looking forward to perfecting this skill and finding out as much as I can.  I plan to smoke something once a week so I will be on here quite often.  Next up...Salmon!

Anyway...I look forward to trying all your recipes!  If allowed of course.

My first question is...is there anything such as TOO MUCH SMOKE?  My wife did not care for the wings...I should say she enjoyed the inside(tender, juicy and subtle smoke) but HATED the skin, which I thought was great.  Is there such a thing if so...how do you control this.  Less chips?  Different Chips?

Thanks,

Rich

Welcome to SMF!

Would you update your profile to include your location. Thanks!

The smoke you want is just barely visible. If your getting billowing white smoke that is bad. Try using fewer chips and adding them more often.

Welcome to SMF!

The smoke you want is just barely visible. If your getting billowing white smoke that is bad. Try using fewer chips and adding them more often.

X2 - Too much smoke makes creosote like flavor 

Welcome to SMF!

The smoke is slightly visible outside of the smoker.  But if I take the lid off there is a nice puff of smoke that billows out quickly...but there is not constant billowing smoke with the lid off.  Does that make sense  :) - right now I do two handfuls of chips, soaked in water for 20 minutes and then I scatter them in clumps near my electric prong where the heat emitts from.  I use those two handfuls and that is it.  Wrong too?

added my location.

And thank you for the friendly welcomes!

Last edited:
The amount of good smoke you like is a personal preference you will learn with time.

Billowing white smoke will be bad smoke every time.

Good luck and good smoking.

welcome1.gif
 to SMF. You have come to the right place for smoking info. This site is loaded with great info just use the search bar at top of page to find what you are looking for. If you can't locate the answer just ask folks here are willing to share there knowledge. I suggest you take  the 5 day e-course on smoking its chuck full of great info.Smoking  5-Day e-Course  You will also learn about the TBS(thin blue smoke) which is what you want. 

Welcome to the SMF Family...The Wood you use will make a huge difference too...Mesquite, real strong...Hickory, up-front...Maple, Pecan and Oak tasty and mellower...Fruit Woods, pretty mild, slightly sweet...Then there are Blends but we will save that until you taste a few different Woods...Teriyaki Chips, I am not familiar with...If this is new for your family, start with some thing mild, like Apple or Oak...You don't want to turn them off to your new obsession...JJ

We have been using Mequite...not Teryaki...not sure why I thought that  :)  Yeah I have moved to the Hickory ones now and smoked with a nice steak rub(I know it is chicken, but it it works) and now I am the king of the castle when it comes to smoking at my place.  I have smoked chicken breast to chop up for a chicken Salad mix my wife makes(awesome) and smoked a salmon after brining...man that was so good!!!!!  I have been challenged to do a brisket but a buddy of mine...probnably do that this spring sometime.

Thanks for the welcomes...i enjoy this site alot and the things I have already learned!

We have been using Mequite...not Teryaki...not sure why I thought that  :)  Yeah I have moved to the Hickory ones now and smoked with a nice steak rub(I know it is chicken, but it it works) and now I am the king of the castle when it comes to smoking at my place.  I have smoked chicken breast to chop up for a chicken Salad mix my wife makes(awesome) and smoked a salmon after brining...man that was so good!!!!!  I have been challenged to do a brisket but a buddy of mine...probnably do that this spring sometime.

Thanks for the welcomes...i enjoy this site alot and the things I have already learned!

Try putting your chips in a foil packet with a few holes on top, that will help keep them from bursting into flames and will really help with the tbs. My latest experiment I made a pouch and all the folded over foil was on the bottom to insulate the wood from the heat. It created great TBS and I had very little problems I also didn't soak my wood. BTW I use chunks. I also have that same red Brinkman but no longer use it since I got my Smoke Vault.

Try putting your chips in a foil packet with a few holes on top, that will help keep them from bursting into flames and will really help with the tbs. My latest experiment I made a pouch and all the folded over foil was on the bottom to insulate the wood from the heat. It created great TBS and I had very little problems I also didn't soak my wood. BTW I use chunks. I also have that same red Brinkman but no longer use it since I got my Smoke Vault.
I've done the foil packet method as well on a gas grill while trying to do indirect heat smoking before I bought an offset firebox smoker.  It's doable on a gas grill, but tricky.  You can do the foil packet with chips or pellets.  The thing you have to be careful about is proximity to your heat source.  I've had several times when I'm rolling beautiful thin blue smoke and all of a sudden the temps spike big time.  Then I lift the hood to discover that my foil packet is belching fire out of the holes and melting away the aluminum.  I thought wrapping them would starve them of oxygen enough that they wouldn't burn.  Not so.  I ruined a perfectly good elk loin steak that way.  I may or may not have cried after that.

Sorry to hear about your elk, the foil method is not for everyone or more specifically every smoker but it is a method to try. Just keep an eye on it for the first time and if it starts bellowing white death yank it out before it can damage the goods.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky