• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New smoker from texas

texas smokin

Joined Aug 16, 2022
I'm finally dipping my toes into the world of smoke and just expanding my outdoor cooking skills. Up to now I've been a basic burger, dog and steak guy on a gas grill. Always wanted to do more and am now making that commitment. After 6-9 months of research and countless hours watching video, Google searching and talking to experienced smokers, I bought a new Yoder YS640s and looking forward to getting that in a few weeks.

In the meantime, I'm watching more cooking videos and wanted to take advantage all the experience on this board. Been lurking for awhile but thought it was time to join.

Look forward to the ideas, feedback and discussions

912smoker

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 29, 2020
Welcome to SMF from SE GA and sounds like you're off to a great start!
This is a great place to learn and share ideas.
And remember...
pics or it didn't happen 🤣

Keith

tbern

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 27, 2015
Welcome from Minnesota! Congrats on your new toy due to arrive soon!! Enjoy your time here.

SmokinGame

Smoking Fanatic
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 11, 2018
From Indiana, welcome to SMF!

Let us know when you receive that Yoder. Pics are good!

tx smoker

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Welcome from central Texas. What part of the state do you call home?
Was this message intended for me?
Not sure exactly which message you're referring to but a lot of the good folks are just welcoming you to the family from all over the US and Canada.

Robert

texas smokin

Joined Aug 16, 2022
Welcome from central Texas. What part of the state do you call home?

Not sure exactly which message you're referring to but a lot of the good folks are just welcoming you to the family from all over the US and Canada.

Robert

Hi Robert! Thank you and everyone for such a warm welcome. I'm from the DFW area.

I was initially replying to zain3737 above with that question. I didn't really understand his post and wasn't sure if it was directed to me. He wrote:

"However, when a food is listed as 'Texas Style' it usually means that it has been prepared in line with Central Style BBQ. Central Texas Style is large cuts of meat, like brisket, seasoned with just salt and black pepper, and then cooked low and slow over indirect heat. Hickory and post oak are popular smoking woods,"

JLeonard

Smoking Guru
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
Welcome from Mississippi. Hide your credit cards! We'll find all kinds of ways to spend your money on "gotta haves"....LOL. Or so my wife says.
Jim

clifish

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 25, 2019
Welcome from NY. You stepped in deep with that smoker, top notch rig. Looking forward to some pics.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.