new smoker from Oregon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

huntingoregon

Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
I am new to the SMF and I decided to join because since I started smoking (2 weeks ago) I decided to go online and find information about smoking salmon. Well I stumbled upon this website which helped me tons. So I figured I join and take all the info and knowledge from all you fine folks. Growing up in the Northwest (OR) where the fishing and hunting is pretty much awesome, the smoking is almost second nature to a lot of people so im surprised it took me this long to actually get into it, or should i say try it for myself. So I am a new to the smoking meats and fish. I am 26 years old, I live in Oregon. I started on a little chief smoking salmon. So far i think i did ok for the first few times but I wanna take it to the next level. I want to start getting good at smoking ribs and meats and of course fish. 

looking forward to learning some cool smoking skills!

Hey welcome. You need an old refrigerator and an electric heating element from a cook top..like your wife has in the kitchen..most are 220 so only hook up one loop to bring it too 110 v. So after you do whatever magic you got to offer put the fish in there with the element..which has a pie pan on top and a chunk of wood in the pie pan. Shut the door and come back tomorrow. That is how the pro Salmon smokers from the Left Coast handle that chore. Alder wood young man..Alader wood. Whatever that is. 

Hey HuntingOregon.  What is your smoker setup?  I joined the site just like you since I got so much info from it.  I just smoked some spare ribs cut St. Louis style.  Did the 321 method which you can find all over this site.  Dry rubbed w/ Famous Dave's Rib Rub.  Used some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce to finish.  Results?  AWESOME!!!  Oh and welcome fellow smoker

Welcome from Canada.

canada-flag-14.gif

This is a great forum. As you have found out, there is lots of good information. There are also many kind people who generously share their experience. I look forward to your posts.

Disco

[h3]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h3][h3]  [/h3][h3]Gary[/h3]

Thanks for the welcome! It's much appreciate it. As I was on the website I saw that people were really helpful so it really reinforced the fact that I should join. With that said I have a little chief. It's kinda old my father in law dug it out of his garage. Had to put some screws at the bottom to keep the sides from spreading open. It does loose a lot heat I feel. But I'm planning on buying an electric smoke hollow smoker, for those of you in the northwest bi-mart has a good deal for the smoker but the only thing is that since I'm new I don't mind how good the smoker is for 130$??? Any suggestions on a good start up?

Thanks for the welcome! It's much appreciate it. As I was on the website I saw that people were really helpful so it really reinforced the fact that I should join. With that said I have a little chief. It's kinda old my father in law dug it out of his garage. Had to put some screws at the bottom to keep the sides from spreading open. It does loose a lot heat I feel. But I'm planning on buying an electric smoke hollow smoker, for those of you in the northwest bi-mart has a good deal for the smoker but the only thing is that since I'm new I don't mind how good the smoker is for 130$??? Any suggestions on a good start up?
If you are looking for an inexpensive smoker, you might want to check out the Mini WSM group. It is a smoker that is easy to make yourself with easily available parts (a Weber Smoky Joe barbecue and an Aluminum pot) and inexpensive ($100). 

Disco

Thanks Disco I looked it up online and on youtube and it was pretty cool. I am going to really look into making one of those for sure. I like the fact that you can actually take it anywhere with you. It would be great for this summer camping out here in the northwest where the trout can go directly from the river to the smoker! Thanks!

Hey

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

Thanks Disco I looked it up online and on youtube and it was pretty cool. I am going to really look into making one of those for sure. I like the fact that you can actually take it anywhere with you. It would be great for this summer camping out here in the northwest where the trout can go directly from the river to the smoker! Thanks!
Please post your efforts. I have been thinking of making one myself for hot smoking roasts and chicken.

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky