New smoker from Kansas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinjory

Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Sabetha, KS
Hey there.
I'm new to smoking, somewhat. My dad has an ECB, and I've used it a few times, but I've always wanted a side-firebox smoker and my wife finally got me one for our anniversary. It's the smaller Char-Broil one you can get at Wal-Mart. Nothing special, but a good starter. So far I've only done some "country style" ribs, and they turned out great TASTING, but extremely black. I think I used too many wood chunks, I kept a constant flow of smoke. Still, the taste was great, just not visually appealing. Looking forward to learning a lot around here, I'm planning on getting a LOT of use out of this thing!
Jory

Welcome and congrats on your smoke... A great bunch here and you will learn alot from the great amount of knowledge here. (here being every one else on the forum) By the way we all love to see pics- Smokers and food.

Well welcome again and smoke on!!!!

Welcome to the forum. I'm a propane GOSM guy myself, but there are plenty of side fire-box folk on board here to help you reach your goals. Here's to hearing all about your smokes and seeing lots of pics.

welcome to smf. i use a horizontal offset. you want just a thin blue smoke; that you can barely see, but you can smell.

Hi Jory!...Welcome to the SMF!...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
It's a Mighty Fine place to be!
Great Folks, Great Food, Tons of info, and more fun than you can shake a stick at!

Why not sign up for Jeff's Free 5 Day eCourse...It's a great little course, and the price is right to boot!

Don't give up on those CS Ribs...(I love to make those!)...Practice makes perfect, you know...

The first few times I used my old JW 'Cook'n Cajun' smoker way back in the late '70's I had basically the same problem with getting whatever I was cooking (usually pork butts) too dark.

Looked like I painted them with tar!!...
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Took me a few times to figure out what I was doing wrong. Sure do wish I'd have had the SMF to help me way back then!!!

You won't have that problem though...Hey...We're all here to help!

You might want to try adding your wood chunks 1 or 2 at the time...just enough wood so your smoke is thin and blue-grayish in color...almost invisible when viewed against a light background.

Of course...I don't know what condition you were cooking under, but I believe if you try this those CS Ribs most likely won't be so dark next time.

Be sure to let us know how things turn out, and if you have a chance, please post some pics of your Q.

How 'bout it...Anyone got some ideas that'll be of help to Jory??

Again...Welcome to the SMF!...We're mighty glad you're here with us!!

Until next time...

Enjoy!...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky