New smoker from Ames, IA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikeserve

Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Ames, IA
Hi, my name is Mike, I'm 25 years old, and I'm a complete smoking noob. I just bought a Royal Oak electric smoker this morning and smoked some chicken this afternoon. The smoker worked pretty well except my chicken didn't have any smoke flavor. I posted a question on the electric smoker forum, so hopefully someone can help me out with that issue.

My main hobby is homebrewing. I've been homebrewing beer for the last 4 years or so and have gotten quite good at that. I'm the president of the Ames Brewers League and also attend the Iowa Brewers Union meetings. Here's my brewing website in case anyone is interested: http://www.mikebeer.net Several of my brewclub members also smoke meat while brewing. They say it makes for a nice day of brewing, smoking, and drinking so I thought I'd give it a try.

Hopefully I will be able to learn from some masters on this forum and turn out some great bbq and smoked food.

WELCOME Mike, we NEED to talk, I like good home brew, and BTW, I just live over in Nevada,

Welcome from Des Moines (though I work in Ames)! This is a great site (I'm a relative noob too), with TONS of excellent info and very helpful, nice people. I'm a homebrewer too - been at it for a number of years!

Prost!
Trout

Welcome aboard! You guys should come ta the Iowa Gatherin weekend a June the 20th! Gonna be alotta good smokers there an a Hoot of a time ta boot! Let me know ifin yer interested an we get yall on the list. Gonna start on thursday an end that sunday. Come fer the whole weekend er just a day er two!

Lived in Ames for four years and taught in Nevada for three years. I now live in Webster City. It is amazing how many of us are on here in such a close area.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard.

It's good to see some fellow homebrewers on the forum.

ISUTroutBum - There's an Iowa Brewers Union meeting on June 15th at the Holiday Inn off Merle Hay Road if you're interested. It starts at 7:00 pm. I'll be there.

Smokebuzz - There's an Ames Brewers League meeting tomorrow night at Wallaby's restaurant starting at 7:00 pm if you're interested. It will give you a chance to meet several local brewers and also sample some great homebrew.

Welcome to the forum - Although I don't home brew - I do "occasionally"
PDT_Armataz_01_20.gif
drink brew at home! Looking forward to some pic's on your brews.

Welcome Mike. I'm just down the road from you in Huxley. Lots of great info here. Many very helpful people to help you get started.

dmack

Welcome a board Mike It's good to have another Iowa smoker on the Forum. I have never done any home brewing but I always drink some brews while smoking. It is a little known law in the state of Iowa that you MUST be consuming some sort of alcohol while you are cooking dead animal flesh over an open flame. At least that is what I have been told
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky