New Smoker - First Smoke - Bone in Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ososmokeshack

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
NorCal
So I bought this little Char Grill side fire box about a month ago and have been using it as just a regular grill. Made quite a few things on it.

The grill

Tri-tip

Some marinated chicken

Beef ribs (turned out okay flavor wise but I was in a rush and they didn't cook long enough)

Made some pizzas

And some fresh wings

Well yesterday I picked up the rest of it and installed the side fire box for the complete smoker.

So today I decided to smoke a bone in butt. In my opinion it's one of the most forgiving meats so it'll be good to learn temps, times and the like on a new smoker.

I have the same charcoal grill .. no side box, I keep right next to my smoker 

good luck on your smoke today

I am undecided on what smoker I actually want. Can't decide if I should build a dedicated rig, buy a pellet, buy a wood or something else. Partly why I got this to hold me over until I decide.

Wow. all I can say is if your turning out Q like that with just a firebox, I can't wait to see what you can do with a whole smoker!

Very nicely done Q!

Al

:welcome1:

Nice chow!
Hope you do more cooks and send in the pics from time to time.

Thanks! I plan on putting in more pics, been in a small place the last two years after moving with no place to BBQ at home, finally got a bigger place.

Wrapped it in foil at 155* right about 6.5 hours in. Have been going back and forth all morning about wrapping or not and decided to wrap. Next one maybe I'll leave open.

I had a Chargriller for years! It's a decent smoker and there is a ton of modifications you can do with it. I actually did very well in a brisket competition using pecan splits. I might go as far to say that it is probably the best offset to learn with for the price. Even if you don't  use the side box any more, that rig will hold an after market spit and you can do some nice rotisserie. I liked the multi-sectioned cast iron grates the most. They made it really easy to add fuel when I was smoking without a side box..

I had a Chargriller for years! It's a decent smoker and there is a ton of modifications you can do with it. I actually did very well in a brisket competition using pecan splits. I might go as far to say that it is probably the best offset to learn with for the price. Even if you don't  use the side box any more, that rig will hold an after market spit and you can do some nice rotisserie. I liked the multi-sectioned cast iron grates the most. They made it really easy to add fuel when I was smoking without a side box..

To be perfectly honest I bought the side fire box because it was on sale on Amazon for like $49 and I had about $25 in gift cards left over and I wanted a cheap grill to hold me over. When I got the package in the mail I was amazed at how heavy duty the thing was and the fact that I paid like $15 for it. After that I knew I had to have the whole thing but traveling for work killed my plan to buy it and set it up. I'm pretty impressed with this thing and in it for under $150.

Last edited:
Came out very nice, 
points.gif
The rotisserie i just bought fits that grill like a glove 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky