New project with an ancient OKJ from 1990

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ammaturesmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I recently picked up an original OKJ charcoal grill. It is a 20 x 36 1/2 unit and HEAVY AS HELL!! My one complaint is its only a charcoal grill. So I plan to mod it. Couple questions as I go this route with my options. #1 Do I convert to pellet? I was really wanting to go this route until I tasted my friends Traeger last month. Actually 3 of my friends now and it really doesn't do anything for me compared to my Old Country stick burner flavor. Which comes up to my next option. #2 Do I go standard stick and have a firebox welded on? If I do that, do I go standard flow or reverse flow? #3 Do I go with a firebox behind it and have the inlet in the center? I have heard this is a problem with grease getting into the firebox when you go this route. If I go stick, Does it matter the size of firebox? I have access to a OKJ 16 inch bbq charcoal grill I was thinking about having it welded onto it. I go to competitions all of the time and I see these huge smokers with really small fireboxes powering them. As long as the convection moves, I think I would be fine. I would just need to have the side door welded shut. But my buddy had a unique idea. He said to have the small 16 inch bbq turned firebox welded to just the door. He thinks it would be unique for some options. I cannot think of any options but he will let me know when he thinks of one. But a unit that has the whole firebox swing open is rather unique.

That is a really nice old unit. If you are doing a full mod job, stand it on end and put an offset box. I think verticals are really efficient and it takes up less space on your patio/deck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky