New project started..need suggestion on insulation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

desertloper

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I have a late 50's early 60's IH Fridge.  Its been all all torn down and I am in the process of rebuilding.

I took out a considerable amount of yellow fiberglass insulation.  It had gotten wet and was a bit musty.

What insulation is safe to put back in..can I get jut anything from the home centers?  I've seen a few threads which talk about rock wool or mineral insulation....does anyone have specific examples or experience with these types of insulation?

Thanks for the help!

Hey desertloper, welcome to SMF, rock wool will work but it's not the best, do you have a plumbing and heating supply for contractors in your area, if so they can probably recommend what you could use.

Also I just read a thread here today where someone made a smoker out of the same fridge, you might want to check it out, he used a type of insulation I'm not familiar with and said it was low cost.

Gene

I'm starting to wonder if this actually needs to be insulated $$$$  1/2" thick ceramic insulation runs $3.00+ a foot. I have also found http://store03.prostores.com/servlet/buyinsulationproducts/the-368/Mineral-Wool-Board/Detail

Its looking like these are the best options available.  I was suggested the ceramic insulation at a custom fireplace/stove store (which has a lot of great things for a smoker build).  Its looking like insulation is going to run $60-150..more than I had expected.

Is this par for the course?

Well, I can tell ya that I always start with a budget for a build and I ALWAYS go over. 

If you insulate the frig, you are going to have a rig that is a dream to run. VS. One that is not insulated, that takes constant attention to keep the temps in the correct range. 

I would suggest that even if you had to hold off on the build for a month or so, until you can afford the extra expense. That it will be well worth the wait. 

In my clone build I plan to use the same stuff that you posted the link to in your last post. 

Good Luck and pls keep us up to date with your progress.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky