New (old) addition to the stable

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikeintn

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 6, 2007
I decided to try smoking my own barbecue last summer, and mentioned such to my father-in-law. He told me that he had bought a smoker a long time ago and had only used it once, and then given up because he couldn't keep the heat up in the unit using charcoal, and that I could have it if I wanted it. I already had my eye on the Brinkmann vertical smoker that became my first smoker, so I passed on taking his smoker home with me.

My father-in-law passed away a few months after our conversation above. This past weekend, my wife and I were over at her parent's house when I ran across the smoker in their storage building. Turns out it's a Charmglow Cook'n Cajun, and it's now a proud addition to the stable here at home.

After you mentioned the smoker you got I tried to look it up to see what it was and found this.

CPSC, The Brinkmann Corporation Announces
Recall to Repair Gas Grills

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announces the following recalls in voluntary cooperation with the firms listed below. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. To access color photos of recalled products, go to the Commissionâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Web site at www.cpsc.gov.
Name of product: Brinkmann-brand and Charmglow-brand Gas Grills manufactured by Brinkmann

Units: About 130,000

Grill Manufacturer: The Brinkmann Corporation of Dallas, Texas

Regulator Manufacturer: Zhonghshan GDA Gas Valve Co. Ltd., of China

Hazard: The regulators on these gas grills, the component that controls the amount of gas released to the burner, could leak gas when attached to certain liquid propane tanks. This poses a risk of fire and burn injuries.

Incidents/Injuries: The Brinkmann Corporation has received two reports of a small fire reportedly due to gas leaking at or near the propane cylinder. No injuries or property damage have been reported.

Description: The recall involves Brinkmann-brand and Charmglow-brand gas grills. The regulator is attached to the side of the grills. Only grills that have regulators with the name “GDA†are affected by this recall. The grills have three to six burners and the name “Brinkmann†or “Charmglow†on the lid.

Sold at: Home center, sporting goods and hardware stores nationwide from January 2005 through September 2005 for between $150 and $900.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers with grills that have the “GDA†regulator should contact Brinkmann to receive a free repair kit.

Consumer Contact: Call Brinkmann toll-free at (800) 675-5301 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday. Consumers also can log on to the companyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Web site at wwwBrinkmann.net.

Installation Instructions: Download the Regulator Retro-Fit Instruction Sheet and follow Steps 1 through 4. The instruction sheet is available in PDF format - Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the sheet. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, please visit the Help Section for instructions on how to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
http://www.brinkmann.net/Customer%20...allVerify.aspx

This smoker is a charcoal-fired bullet type unit, so no gas and no gas regulator; however, there is a recall out on it as well. Seems the charcoal pan has a hole in it which can let hot embers fall through, which is a bad thing if you're using it on a wood deck or balcony
icon_eek.gif
. I think I'm going to call them go get the new pan, and also some new rack brackets (they've been recalled as well due to them having sharp edges).

I think I might just do that, miss Debi.
icon_smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky