New Mexico Signature dish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richoso1

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 21, 2007
New Mexico Signature Green Chile Stew
Ingredients:
2 lbs. roasted green chiles, seeds/skin removed, cut into coarse chunks.
1 medium onion, chopped.
6 cloves of fresh garlic.
Boston Butt ( I found a 5.5 lb. one on sale for .99¢ a lb.).
2- 1/2 cups chicken stock.
14-½ oz. crushed tomatoes, drained.
2 large potatoes, diced.
Salt.
Preheat oven to 450º. Starting with a 5.5 lb. Boston Butt, I studded it with whole garlic cloves for flavor. I then slathered mustard, and generously dusted it with Jeff’s rub and my 12-spice rub, letting it sit in the fridge overnight. I then put it into a DO and added AJ to the bottom of it. Cooked uncovered at 450º fat side down for an hour, and then backed it down to 250º putting the lid on, and gave it 3 hrs as I sprayed it with AJ. I then turned off the oven and cracked the door open, and let the DO sit there for another hr. Once it cooled, I removed the garlic cloves and cut the pork it into man-size chunks. In a large saucepan I added crushed tomatoes, potatoes, and green chile, adding salt to taste. Bring to a slow boil and simmer covered until potatoes are tender, then add pork chunks and turn off burner, leaving it covered. Serve with warm corn tortillas, or corn bread. I didn’t take any prep pics because we’ve all been there and done that.
e914b88b_vbattach15864.jpg

3edb26d1_vbattach15863.jpg

That sounds and looks great! I think I'm gonna give it a try. (another one to the growing list)

One question... I've never used roasted chiles. Do you buy them roasted or are they something you need to prepare?

Wavector , thanks for that link..........

Richoso.......thats one delishious looks dish , drool slurp wipe ...dang it there goes another keyboard
biggrin.gif

Rich my friend, you've done it again! Awesome looking and sounds great!

Thanks for sharing!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks for the link ... it has helped me revise my own technique, which is another reason I love the SMF!

BTW ... tried to add rep point, but I guess I have done that recently and it wouldn't let me do it again!
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky