• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

catlike4

Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Salem, Oregon
Hello Everyone
I am Kathie and go by my nickname Catlike4. I live in Salem, Oregon and I'm not really new to smoking I've had a Big Chief Smoker for 10 + years now and smoke Salmon, Venison jerky, chicken and Turkeys. But recentlly I was introduced to using smoker for cooking and smoking style Turkey and wanted to learn how I could do this with my electric and to my dismay... can't, so... after pricing charcol and wood chunk smokers, it will be a while before I can get the kind I really want. Or figure out how to turn my old propane barbque grill into a smoker.
icon_lol.gif

Catlike4
Kathie

Welcome once again Kat-Like :{) Hey look into an ECB...like $50 or less in the charcoal version, and will do a bird just fine! Sigh up for the 5 day ecourse, lots of good info for everyone in there...

Enjoy!

Welcome Kathie! You can smoke with tin can, cardboard box, or even a $10 trash can. If you want to smoke with your current rig, just put some wet wood chips in some foil (along with a few dry ones). Poke some holes in the packs and set them on the drip plates above your burner. If you can, put the foil packs on one side and the meat on the other. You can smoke just about anything you want with what you have.

Ask questions and learn with the rest of us. There's a ton of info floating around here on a daily basis.....along with a lot of....well...other stuff....usually started by myself
icon_cool.gif

Kathie:

Welcome to the Forum. Especially since you are another of our growing contingent of Oregonians. I am down in Newport, but get to Corvallis/Salem area about once a week.

You must be cat like because you snuck in here so quietly.

Even though you have experience, the 5 Day free eCourse on smoking is quite informative. I would suggest that you sigh up for that. One issue will arrive each day. Some very good information here.

This forum has some very knowledgeable members. Feel free to post and ask about anything that you are unsure of. It won't take long for you to receive a number or responses. They may differ a little, but then that is good so you can see things from a number of different points of view.

Once again, glad you joined and we will look forward to more of your posts.

Skip

awe come on, they got little turkeys up there in Oregon...eh?
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Yea, I guess I missed that......I'm still at work and I'd REAAAAALLLLY would like to go home.....guess I should read a little closer. With that said....what Rich said. You can go to Lowes (or your local hardware dealer) and for less than $75 you can come out with everything you need to give that bird all of the smokey good lovin' it needs.

As I said above, there's a lot of good information around here..... I just gave you your first batch of.....the other. Thanks Rich. I'll go stand in the corner now!
smile.gif

Welcome to SMF, Catlike4! It sounds like you are bringing quite a bit of experience to the group. I look forward to seeing and hearing about the stuff you smoke. Glad to have you with us.

Welcome to the SMF, the best smokin' site this side of the moon. Nice to know you have aquired some Q background, looking forward to your smokes and Q's.

Welcome to the forums catlike4! You have definitely come to the right place!

Have fun!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky