• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dinosaurs

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
I came across this forum while looking for some beef round sirloin tip roast recipes and figured I'd register while I was here. My name is Dave, born and raised in western NY, then moved to Blacksburg, VA a few years back for graduate school. I got my start smoking when I assumed responsibility for the senior pig roast for my engineering department in college. A professor from our department had previously been in charge of it, but he was leaving for another school, so after he left I took over. We would usually smoke around 140 pounds of pork shoulder. 

After I finished my degree there, I moved down to Virginia for graduate school. It wasn't until a friend of mine from back in NY also came down here for graduate school that I thought about getting my own smoker. After a few (maybe too many) beers one night, I decided that I was going to buy a smoker and we would make chicken that Sunday. Craigslist was limited, but I found a killer deal on a Bradley electric smoker. The chickens weren't even done in the Bradley before I was emailing someone else on Craigslist about an Ugly Drum Smoker. 

I went and picked up the UDS the next Saturday, and we had more chicken that Sunday night. Since then, pretty much every Saturday (minus home football games) has consisted of watching college football while smoking a few pork shoulders. We've also done ribs, salmon, and chicken wings on the drum. The Bradley has taken the back seat for now, but my friends and I are planning on throwing a cookout for our research groups in the near future. We'll probably do 3 pork shoulders on the drum, and wings along with eggplant (or something of that nature, for the vegetarians in the group) in the Bradley. 

welcome1.gif
  Sounds like some good experience on your part. Glad to have ya aboard.  You might also consider stuffed portabello mushrooms for those vegetarians.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowgirl  

Welcome to the forum Dave, looking forward to your input!

Thanks. One of my current roommates is originally from Oklahoma.

welcome1.gif
  Sounds like some good experience on your part. Glad to have ya aboard.  You might also consider stuffed portabello mushrooms for those vegetarians.

Good call on the portobello mushrooms, I didn't even think of those. A bonus is if there are any leftovers, you can use them as "buns" for a pork sandwich. I've done that with burgers before and I actually prefer them to regular bread now.

Welcome to SMF Dino....... Dont forget to post some qveiw of the smoked goodies....................
icon14.gif

Joe

Welcome..

This site has tons of info.

I suggest you spend some time reading all the different forums and the WIKIs.

Ask questions and use the handy dandy search tool for specific interests!!

Take the awesome free E-Course!!!

Have a great day!!!

Craig

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/about-jeffs-5-day-ecourse

Make bacon the easy way!!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/109368/more-easy-made-bacon-with-q-view#post_666451

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/82034/how-to-post-qview-to-smf

icon_cool.gif

First off welcome to SMF there Dave. You'll really like this place for there are a bunch of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking meat. Then if you have any questions you just post them here or yu can try in chat for a faster answer. If you are really new to all of this I would recommend that you look up and take the e-course. It is free and it will also give you the basics on smoking. So with all that said now go and get something to smoke.

Welcome To Your New Addiction

Welcome to SMF glad you can join us.  We are big on Pics and love to help everyone out.  Remember the only question that is dumb is one not asked.  You will not find a friendlier place to talk Que on the web.

You are going to fit in just fine.

Drum Smokers are the bomb!!

Welcome to the SMF Family...JJ

Welcome aboard, Dave!  Sounds like you're off to a smokin' start.  Glad you joined us here, you'll fit right in!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowgirl  

Welcome to the forum Dave, looking forward to your input!

Thanks. One of my current roommates is originally from Oklahoma.

Good call on the portobello mushrooms, I didn't even think of those. A bonus is if there are any leftovers, you can use them as "buns" for a pork sandwich. I've done that with burgers before and I actually prefer them to regular bread now.

That's great Dave!! What part of Oklahoma is he from? 

That's great Dave!! What part of Oklahoma is he from? 
I am pretty sure he's from Norman.

Anyways, I ended up getting pretty busy with school the past few weeks and didn't get a chance to log back on here until just now. But the smoker has been running quite a bit since then. Thanks for all the welcomes, and I'll definitely be looking into that e-course once I get back to Virginia. I have two pork shoulders on the smoker right now that I started at around 2 am last night. It was around 35 degrees last night and raining, (I'm up in NY) with very high winds. The umbrella I was using to keep the smoker from getting poured on end up freezing and cracking when the snow started coming down. Its between 10 and 15 degrees outside right now, so I've been fighting to keep the heat up inside the smoker. This is the first time I've had to add charcoal in the middle of the smoke. It wasn't too bad, but I certainly don't miss this weather. Around 5:30am I had to move the smoker into the garage with the door open, so now my parents garage smells like 
36.gif

Anyways, onto some pictures:

ebb05286_ribs.jpg

Ribs my friends made while I was driving back from Thanksgiving.

dfc83791_threepigsdone.jpg

Three pork shoulders, two of which made the drive down to Charlotte, NC, with me for the ACC Championship Game.

82e7091e_wings.jpg

Chicken wings we made two weeks back. We also made some Buffalo style sauce to toss a few in using butter, Frank's Red Hot, and Mad Dog 357. That stuff was brutally hot.

54bf1752_twoshoulders.jpg

The two pork shoulders ready to go in last night.

833bb1ac_homestretch.jpg

Hour 12 of the smoke. Started off at 225, been between 250 and 200 fighting the wind and crazy temperature swings outside throughout the night.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky