New member/new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingwxman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Hello.  My name is Tim and I am new not only to the forum but to smoking in general.  I have smoked pulled pork all of one time, but more on that later.  

A little background.  I live in southern Nebraska with my wife and 2 daughters.  I am very new to smoking and am hoping to absorb any knowledge I can.  I use a custom built smoker that my brother in law made.  Before he passed away a couple of years ago, he was quite the griller.  He build custom smokers for people all over and the food he made was absolutely incredible.  While I know I will never live up to his legacy, it is my hope that in my own way I can make him proud.  I know he'll be helping me from above.  I'll try to post a picture of my smoker when I get the chance.

As I said, I am experienced with all of one time making pulled pork.  In fact, I used tips from this very forum.  Thanks Meowey.  Overall in went ok.  I was smoking about 10 4 pound butts which was pretty intimidating for my first time.  The first few I took off went ok, the later ones were a little tough.  Part of this was a lack of experience, part of it due to a quick ER trip as my daughter cut her leg and had to get 8 stitches.  Don't worry she's fine.  

The flavor was pretty good for my first time.  I used a dry rub recipe found online but overall the one thing it lacked was salt.  Once people added salt to the pulled pork it tasted really good.  There were some extenuating circumstances that prevented me from dry rubbing and letting the meat sit overnight so I am hoping that next time I can properly prepare the meat.

Speaking of next time, this Sunday I'll have another go at it so wish me luck.  And again, I'll be on here often looking forward to advice on improving my cooking.  Thanks in advance,

Tim

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from another hot day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky