New Member in Beautiful BC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoker den

Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hello All:

Been on the Forum for a couple of weeks now and thought I would jot something down in this here section.  About twenty years ago I built myself an old wood plywood smoker.  I would use it used it for an annual batch of smoked salmon.  Well the old wooden one was starting to fall apart so I figured I would build one that would last.  So, decided to build an insulated metal smoker and try and smoke some other meats and treats.  

So, with the help of this forum, got a few of the bugs worked out and I'm quite please with my work.  The unit turned out to be quite a monster as I wanted to be able to do big batches of salmon.  So, it's got seven oven racks 16 X 23 inches, plenty of square footage.  (I'll have to rotate the racks regularly in order get even smoking)  It started out with hotplates but, I didn't think it was getting hot enough, so I tried the Brinkmann Electric Converter and a PID controller.  THAT PID IS AMAZING!!  Stainless steel inside lining with aluminum exterior.

An here is the first butts...  15 hours and turned out beautiful.

Anyways, I am very please with how it turned out, there will be plenty more meat passing over these racks.  Turkey breasts, pork tenderloins, butts, brisket might even try my hand at sausage, and those fatties look real interesting.  

Thanks everyone for all the help, great bunch of folks here, I'm sure I'll be pickin' some more brains here sooner or later...

Den

PS - I just had to throw this in here - this is my other smoker!!
devil.gif

Welcome aboard, Den!  Glad you joined us.  You've found a great place to learn and share ideas.  Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who really enjoy helping one another.  Just ask when you need help and you'll get plenty. 

Wow, that's an awesome smoker you built!  You've got some skills, my friend!  And I'm also loving your "other smoker".  Is it a true Cobra, or is it one of the replica kits?  Either way, its beautiful!!

Red

Thank you very much Red, the Cobra is a Factory Five kit. Built that too.

Replicas are more fun, you can drive the piss out of it and not worry too much about it.

Den

Hi Den! :welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 45,000 members who just love to share their experience and over 900,000 posts describing it!

The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but you can still ask too if you want!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-Course, it will teach you all the basics plus a whole lot more!

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us! 

Love the toys!  The smoker is so cool!  BUT...the COBRA is gorgeous!  I wanna ride!  Please!  
biggrin.gif

If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know before plunging into the forums.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/terms-of-service

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky