• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New Member from Winchester, VA

rmeston

SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 20, 2021
Hello All,

Well, new to smoking/bbq and new here, but have been lurking for a while and trying to learn. Just signed up for a premier membership as well, as this forum has already been of value to me making decisions about smoking, so I feel it's important to support the group here in any way I can.

Anyway, this whole thing really started off with this past deer season, where I got two in the freezer. (Lost out with hunting last year due to contracting Covid.) I had been making venison jerky inside in my oven, but my wife was not a fan of leaving the oven on for 5-6 hours, and I had to leave the door cracked, to get down to about 160 degrees, and she wasn't really fond of the jerky smell throughout the house. So, looking for a better solution, and to also making venison summer sausage and other goodies, I ended up here on the forum.

Before I found the forum, I had purchase a Masterbuilt vertical electric smoker from Lowes, but after reading a number of comments on temperatures, and controller issues, I opted to just return it (still in the box) back to Lowes. I then researched other options, read a lot and thought more about my own needs starting out, and ended up buying a Pit-Boss Pro Series II, 4-Series vertical smoker. Starting pellets will be the Pit-Boss brand "competition blend", as it's what I could get easily.

The smoker has only arrived as of couple of days ago, and as a result. it's not assembled yet, just still in the box in the garage. Also bought a ThermoPro wireless thermometer with 4 probes, which seemed like a reasonable option starting out. Not sure I want to spend more on the Fireboard-2 at this point, so we'll see how it works out. So, there will certainly be more to come with trials and tribulations as I try to get this all figured out.

One of the things I read here about Pit-Boss, or at least with the earlier versions, was the debate on incremental settings for temperature, so I ended up calling support. On the grill I purchased, here's what I got from Pit-Boss support, and I don't know if that aligns with you all in terms of actual experience.

150-200 degrees - "Smoke Mode" Nothing on incremental settings within that range.
200-300 degrees - 10 degree temperature increments.
300-400 degrees - 25 degree temperature increments.
400+ - 50 degree temperature increments.

First test will probably be some more venison jerky, then on to a smoked backstrap recipe which I saw here recently, and then venison summer sausage.

Later,

Randall

Smoker Boxed.jpeg

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Welcome to SMF!
Congrats on the new smoker!
Plenty of guys on here with that model to help you if needed.
Al

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 3, 2015
Welcome from Virginia! You’re going to have a lot of fun here learning, great people to help out too!

Colin1230

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2021
Welcome Randall, glad you joined us. Nice smoker you have there.

Brokenhandle

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Welcome from Iowa! This is a great place to learn! Not sure if you saved the deer hearts, but they are excellent smoked!

Ryan

912smoker

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 29, 2020
Hey Randall welcome to SMF from SE Ga.
Got the smoke rolling yet ?

Keith

rmeston

SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 20, 2021
Got the smoke rolling yet ?

Guys, no, I've been able to get the new smoker together/up and running yet. My father in law passed away a week ago, and we've been working on family issues which will keep us busy for a while. He just had his 98th birthday, the day before he passed away. A WWII veteran who as a Navy ensign was on an LST, bringing Marines into Okinawa. A gentleman who will be sorely missed by all.

Randall

motocrash

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 25, 2017
Welcome from the Hunting Ridge/Green Spring area. Looking forward to seeing your cooks.

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Welcome from Ohio! I used to spend time on your area monthly got years on sales calls. Called in Lear / IAC in Winchester and Strasburg. Our company also has a plant in Winchester.

motocrash

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 25, 2017
Welcome from Ohio! I used to spend time on your area monthly got years on sales calls. Called in Lear / IAC in Winchester and Strasburg. Our company also has a plant in Winchester.
After all these years, I don't think I knew that.....

912smoker

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 29, 2020
Guys, no, I've been able to get the new smoker together/up and running yet. My father in law passed away a week ago, and we've been working on family issues which will keep us busy for a while. He just had his 98th birthday, the day before he passed away. A WWII veteran who as a Navy ensign was on an LST, bringing Marines into Okinawa. A gentleman who will be sorely missed by all.

Randall
Sorry for your loss Randall. Sounds like a true American patriot.
My dad was also on an LST in WWII.

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
After all these years, I don't think I knew that.....
Wow right? Didn’t realize that was your hometown! Yep I miss the trips there. Good people and great places to see. I even made the Apple Blossom festival a couple times.

one eyed jack

Master of the Pit
Joined Oct 11, 2014
Hey Randall,

Welcome aboard from NC. Congratulations on your new smoker.

Amazon sells pellets, and a good variety of them. Not sure how their prices run. A 20 LB. bag lasts me a long time using in my cold smoking tubes.

I used to spend a good bit of time around Winchester hunting groundhogs.

Condolences to you, your wife and family. My Dad was a WWII vet. They are leaving us quickly.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=wood+p...od+pellets,aps,111&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_12

motocrash

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 25, 2017
Good people and great places to see.
You'd be hard pressed to find a place more steeped in history.
-French & Indian War - George Washington
-Revolutionary War - Col. James Wood, Daniel Morgan
-Civil War - changed hands ~ 70 times
- Patsy Cline!

rmeston

SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 20, 2021
Yes, I love the history around here. Winchester is a big enough town for things you need, but still small enough to not feel crowded.

For those tracking, my Father In Law's ship it was LST-1107. He was the CO when the shop was brought back after the war though the Panama canal for decommissioning.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.