new member from pa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimalbert

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
Lehighton, PA
Hi all... this is one of the most informative forums i've seen so far. My father actually purchased a GOSM smoker for me last week because I was interested in smoking beef sticks/bacon etc. I do have a question though. Is it even possible to smoke a ham, say from fresh pork when we butcher pigs later this year in this smoker? And if you could follow that up with the same question regarding bacon that would be excellent. I think i will try some ribs in the upcoming days and see how they turn out. If anyone has any good info about this smoker and proven techniques that would be great. My email is [email protected] . Thanks one again and look forward to talking to to you all in the future.

Jim Albert

Hi Jim - welcome to the SMF - glad you joined us - lots of nice folks here to help - I am sure you will get some great info on the ham soon

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

How to post Qview to Forum:

For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=82034

Welcome to the site Jim.
Not sure about a ham or bacon in the GOSM, I don't own one so as far as how well they hold lower temps I couldn't say but some will be along soon that have experience with that smoker.
I can tell you that you need to make sure to cure your meat properly before smoking it not only for taste and color but also for safety reasons.
Do you have access to any Mortons Tender Quick or any other form of curing agent?

No worries, you'll be smoking like a champ in no time.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad you joined us. Just in case, you might want to head over the pork area and post your question there. I don't know the answer to your question but I am 100% positive there will be someone along very soon who will be able to help you.

Welcome aboard Jim, I would have to agree with FireItUp. I think you would have to cure the meat in some fashion first, but I am no expert, my local butcher just does it for me when I bring in a pig.

Hello Jim, and welcome to the SMF. I'm sure you'll have some good feedback real soon. It's all good my friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky