New Member From North Tejas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burlesonbill

Original poster
Howdy ya'll! Bill Mac here from just south of Fort Worth, Tejas. Just picked up my new Oklahoma Joe's Highland model today from Wally World. They have it for less than three bills right now, got it assembled and loaded for free, and since my Wife's a 19+ year employee, got 10% of to boot. Went ahead and picked up a 2nd temp gauge while I was there cause they had those too. I'll start looking at and planning some slight mod's and sealing it good tomorrow. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Being a Texian (old spelling) for awhile now (63+ years), you might say I've grown up on grilled and smoked meat, and a few veggies, and I've raised my kids and grandkids the same. Don't plan on changing anytime soon. Over the years I've had purpose-built brick pits, Webers, Old Smokey kettles, home-built 55-gallon drum grills and smokers, various cheapo portable grills and "smokers", and have done a bit of camp smoking over fires.

I currently have a pretty nice Kingsford 18 x 24 grill that I have modded and can do some quick, short-time smoking on (chicken breasts and tenders, legs and thighs with a little more effort, pre-cooked sausage and packaged breasts and hams that I'm just adding smoke to), but that is a great grill for steaks, chops and burgers. I also have a New Braunfels Hondo Jr. that I picked-up cheap before the holidays last year and did parts of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's dinners on. Worked pretty well with a few simple mods, but just doesn't have enough heat control for what I want or enough capacity; giving it to my Son who just wants to smoke all the fish he catches and some occasional ribs and sausage. With the new OK Joe's on hand I'm looking to expand my repertoire a little, and be able to do the big holiday dinners and family gatherings without having to stage everything. Paired with my Kingsford I can do a good roast in the Kingsford while I smoke turkey breasts, hams, sausage or what-have-you in the OK Joe. Should work a treat if I do my part!

I'll be posting here and there, mostly asking questions and bouncing ideas off the group. Maybe share a recipe or three if I find some good ones.

Bill Mac from Tejas

aka "burlesonbill"

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a cloudy and warm day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Good morning Bill

Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of friendly folks ( Some of them are fellow Texans!) 

Brian

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
Happy smoken.
David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky