New member from CA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pgrevie

Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
I'm new to this forum and relatively new to BBQ and smoking.  I've been grilling since I was a kid.  I learned a little bit about smoking from my dad years ago, but I've only been getting serious about BBQ and smoking for a year or two.  I live in farm country between Sacramento and Redding CA.  My main grill is a barrel style grill with an offset firebox.  Its just one of the regular charcoal grills found at big box home improvement stores.  Most of the time I just cook with charcoal.  I have been experimenting with Almond wood since it is readily available around here.

As far as smokers go, I have used two different propane smokers.  The first one was used almost exclusively for making Jerky.  My Dad and I converted an old refrigerator to a propane smoker.  We primarily made beef and deer jerky from it.  In later years we got a Landman propane smoker.  I have used that smoker a few times for pork shoulder and a few other things.  The smoker is still at my sister's house and I occasionally use it.  Sometime in the near future I will be building both a BBQ and a Cold Smoker.

I just started trying to make sausage.  I made my first batch on Saturday and plan on making another batch in a little less than two weeks.  I made a Onion Habanero sausage that turned out pretty good.  Stuffed it in natural casing.  I cold smoked some of it and kept the rest fresh.  I found a recipe online and made some changes to it.

Hello and welcome to the site, There is a ton of information here and members just waiting to help. Looking forward to seeing your future post and pictures

Gary S

Hey

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

... I live in farm country between Sacramento and Redding CA.  ... Most of the time I just cook with charcoal.  I have been experimenting with Almond wood since it is readily available around here.
Hello Pgrevie.  Welcome to the forum.  Great to see another CA user.  I'm from the Bay Area, but I spent my college days in Chico.  So I am well aware of all the almond orchards up there. 

Happy smoking.

I joined the Nor Cal group.  Thanks for the info.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky