New in NJ - Mike M.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_mike_m

Original poster
May 14, 2018
Northern New Jersey
Greetings-
My girlfriend bought me a WSM 18" (and a companion cook/smoke book) for Christmas. I'm a lucky guy! With the delay of spring here in the northeast, I didn't get a chance to use it until last month. My first smoke ever was baby back ribs - two racks for her mom's birthday. Turned out excellent. Next up some Turkey legs and pork tenderloins. Also excellent. This past weekend for Mothers Day - two 5 lb angus brisket flats. Though challenged by the cool rainy weather, these too came out great.

Looking towards my next cook. Probably chicken legs. I'm learning SO much from this site and thanks for the Smoking Basics eCourse! Hope to learn more and contribute my experiences as a total newb.

-Mike M.

Reactions: kruizer
Welcome to SMF!
And congrats on the new smoker, that is a very popular smoker on here.
So if you need any help, there are plenty of guys on here to give you some!
Al

Reactions: mr_mike_m
Welcome to the show. Congratulations on the new smoker. Sounds like your hooked already.

Chris

Yup. the GF is a keeper. She bought me the smoker specifically to "make her brisket every once in a while and beer can chicken" lol.

A full packer brisket isn't going to fit in an 18" WSM. Now you know your angle for getting her to buy your next bigger smoker! Post some smoke pics! (Hopefully not of a black eye.)

Ahhh! That's good to know. Bought a couple of flats and did them both for Mother's day. Was going to look for packers at a couple of the better butcher shops in my area.
First time brisket - two 4.5-5 lb flats
Right before smoke
2018-05-13%2010.35.53.jpg

Second one - no pics of the first since we devoured it.

2018-05-13%2019.28.14.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky