New in Milwaukee, WI

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

misterq

Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
My intro here.  Although I have an awesome gas grill and have made some pretty good barbeque with some smoke, I am looking into a smoker for my ribs and brisket.  Being in the north and not being one who wants to stay up all night long feeding a fire, I am looking to see what people like better, propane or electric.

Q,

I also want to welcome you to the Forums, also from a WI guy.

As for gas vs electric I have both. The gas is a lot more finicky and requires a little more patience and monitoring. The Masterbuilt 30 or 40 (mine) is a nice set it and forget it tool.

That being said, I like the MES for colder weather and colder smokes like sausage, but much prefer the gas for the higher temp stuff like pulled pork and ribs. The gas is much more sensitive to wind if you don't have a way to block the wind.

As for a one smoker for all occasions I would recommend the MES 30. Good reliable, inexpensive starter unit. And easily set up for cold smoking.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Mark

Welcome to SMF!

Glad to have you with us!

I vote for WSM 22.5.

Better flavor than gas or electric & holds rock solid temps for hours.

Al

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum from a cloudy and windy day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of        great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky