New here, been smoking for years

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

idahobeekeeper

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
SW Idaho
Greetings everyone.

Hello from Idaho. Smoking meats is part of my interests, part of a larger interest in food preservation of all types and kinds. Curing meats, poultry and fish, as well as making sausage is my hobby. Been collection recipes most of my adult life, as well as collecting the wisdom, methods and accounts of successes and failures of practitioners of all types.

I look forward to learning from the assembled membership!

Idahobeekeeper - oh yes, I also keep bees. Honey makes a great sweetener for cures.

Welcome aboard. Lookin forward to you sharing your experience here at SMF. Great folks to associate with. I'm sure you will fit right in.

Alright ... Another member from Idaho ...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Welcome to the SMF
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Idahobeekeeper
Welcome to SMF !!!
Looking forward to hearing more about the colllection of wisdom you have accumilated over the years and I'd like to hear more about honey as a sweetner idea. I know if it has bacon, or brown sugar in it, it can not be bad, so I imagine the same goes for honey !!!

I'm a bit overwhelmed with the depth and breadth of the topics and information I'm finding in the various threads. Already hatching devious thoughts about how to modify my smoker...

Just put the turkey in the oven after a 12 hour soak in brine.

Used the following concoction for two gallons of brine that covered an 18# bird:

2 cups of salt
3 cups of honey
1+ tblsp Rosemary leaves crumbled
1 tsp ground mace
2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground thyme

Brine smelled good enought to drink, and the bird came out plumped up nicely. I'll post the results after we eat.

Absolutely! Will also post pics of a turkey breast I cured and smoked last weekend. Did two, but, um... one is already gone.

Welcome to SMF! It sounds like you are bringing a lot of experience and knowledge to the group. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your smoke, past, present and future.

Glad to have you aboard.

Welcome, Idahobeekeeper!

Happy you found us!

As I slowly turn my acres into production I have been teasing with the idea of beekeeping, considering the problems with the bees across our country. Look forward to me depending your experience for beekeeping tips in the near future!

Welcome to the SMF Family!

Cheers!

Monty,

I've had bees for 3 seasons. It's one of the most relaxing endeavors one can engage in. That may sound counter intuitive for folks not familiar with bees, but, like most other activities involving living things, it's all about relationships.

It's a bit of work, and something one must be willing to fully commit time and attention. But it's worth it.

Please let me know how I can help - have lots of resources, sources for equipment, supplies and information.

For starters, subscribe to the Bee-L listserv out of the University of Albany at [email protected] -google Bee-L and you should find it easily.

Best wishes,

Ken

Ken.

I am looking at beekeeping perhaps the season after next. By that time I will have my fields opened and be more or less in full planting swing.

Working slowly to my retirement, again. Hope to pull the plug in less than five years and "retire" to doing the things I want to do.

Already 25% self sufficient here and working to doing more and also to taking a bit of profit from my endeavors!

Thank you for joining the SMF family and I look forward to our continued friendship!

Cheers!

Here's the result. One lesson visible in the pictures is the effect of the honey - appears it was absorbed by the skin, and caramelized quite nicely - dark, but wasn't burned at all, and nice and crispy. Next time I'll keep the bird covered with foil longer.

And, they say that a brined turkey retains its moisture - based on this initial experience, I can support that claim. Great tasting bird!

BTW, where abouts in Idaho are you?

Happy Thanksgiving all

Ken
d5dcd669_vbattach15760.jpg

b43f76b3_vbattach15759.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky