New guy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

calcod

Original poster
Dec 19, 2016
Pennsylvania
Hi Robb from Eastern PA. Love smoking and just started into the cold smoke fun. I made my own smoker out of a transportation box very simple. So far have smoked things like nuts,eggs,peppers,cheese,butter,salmon,and now looking at some pork buts.The temp here is in the mid 30s. What I have been reading is that it's not safe to smoke more than a couple hours because of the temp though. What would a preferred smoke time be to smoke an 8lb pork before cooking. Considering the low outside temp?

If you keep the smoker temp & the meat temp below 40 degrees, you can cold smoke them for as long as you want.

I would think 3 to 4 hours would be plenty of time to get a nice smoke flavor on them.

Al

Will you be curing the pork first or smoking it fresh. If the pork has been cured first then it can be smoked longer at higher temperatures. Either way though at 30-35 F you could smoke it safely all day - in fact you may actually want to raise the temperature a little to about 40 F.

Last edited:
Well,lasnight I cold smoked 2 8lb pork butts and half of a prime rib. Now I have bagged them and will let them sit in fridge till xmas. I had them all rubbed with a sea salt and spice mix. Fingers crossed to be good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky