New guy in Wisconsin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

frog1369

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
Wisconsin Tundra
Hello Everyone,

New guy from Wisconsin here.  Been attempting to smoke for a while now on several gas grills with smoker boxes and have actually had some fair luck, but still not the real thing, that's for sure.  SO, I found this forum while I was researching different smokers.  I've decided on gas because my research so far tells me it is somewhat better then electric, but not as good as charcoal.  Of course, there are advantages and disadvantages to all, so I figured gas was a good place to start.  I'm going to order my smoker in the next week or so and so far have decided on the smoke vault, haven't decided 18" or 24" yet.  Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frog1369 (Don)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums! We are happy that you joined the group. You'll find plenty of information here with over 1 million posts! Make the search bar at the top of the page your new friend. Or, simply post your question in the area that applies. You'll get plenty of helpful advice.
Also consider enrolling in Jeff's 5 day E course. It gives you lots of great information to start you off on the right foot! Best of all is that it's free!
Again, WELCOME
Brian

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Thanks for the welcome.  I did order the five day E-course and so far some great information.  Also, so much to read and learn here, but I'm sure this will make the experience even better.  I've been all over the country in my life of 58 years and have had some amazing bbq of all kinds so I am very excited to be able to truly create my own soon.  I love cooking and I started playing with smoke years ago with a smoker box from a place called barbecuewoods.com inside a Brinkmann gas grill.  That little box put out some smoke and the grill would hold a nice steady temp as low as 180 degrees.  Of course it leaked smoke like a sieve so it wasn't getting the penetration it could.  But, I've played with that long enough and it's time to move up a step toward the real thing, so I am happy to find this site and learn from everyone's experience.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky