New-Guy Greetings From The Pacific Northwet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tedr

Original poster
Dec 19, 2016
Ferndale, WA
Hello All,

I've been lurking off & on for about a year, figured it was time to hop in. So here goes...

THE PAST:
Several years ago I was given a Smokehouse Big Chief (a PNW standard for decades); it served me well, pretty much exclusively for salmon.
But it always left me wanting better temperature control.
Then, 2 years ago I bought a lightly-used MES 30 from a friend who was relocating cross-country and didn't want to schlep it along.
I ran a few loads of fish through it, then life got busy, as it frequently does...

THE PRESENT:

After a few years of frying turkeys, I wanted to spread my wings. So I did some research, and found this site while looking for an online MES owner's manual.
A few days before this past Thanksgiving, I dusted off the MES, and test-smoked a whole chicken. It was a "quick & dirty" test, but it was pretty darned tasty IMHO.
So I went all-in, and applied a bit more care in brining & smoking a 12# turkey for our family gathering. It turned out perfectly and was a HUGE hit!
Having control over the chamber temp (plus a digital meat probe threaded through the top vent) was an absolute game-changer...Oh, the possibilities...

What next?  Bacon of course!  More research, then a trip to Cash & Carry (PNW-based wholesale restaurant/grocery chain) to pick up a 14# frozen pork belly; I promptly felt like I was In Too Deep. Calm down...deep breath...more reading...make a simple, basic plan...execute plan.

After 8 days in a PP #1 cure brine, it went into the smoker yesterday afternoon. Nervous as heck about ruining $30+ worth of meat, but I stayed with it.
HOLY COW!!! It turned out amazing!  And still a LOT of room for tweaking/dialing-in the process...

The cherry on top was we quickly prepped some raw almonds and tossed them in when the bacon was done...they are amazing too!  And just in time for a Holiday Party tonight! 
I'm very pleased with what I consider a lot of success in a very short time frame.  I think this is gonna be a very fun & fulfilling ride.

THE FUTURE:
My current project is a remote smokebox for cold-smoking capability. I scored a small Magma stainless steel marine grill (like those used aboard pleasure boats) for $5 at the ReStore.
I also picked up an A-Maze-N smoke tube during a recent holiday sale, and some 3" flexible duct tube. Haven't got it fully sorted out, but I'm close.

Sorry for the long-winded first post.  Looking forward to more participation on this board.

Cheers, Ted

Welcome Ted, I am fairly new here as well and live in Washington. I have been looking for where to get pork bell, guess I will be heading to cash n carry. 

Once you get a set up that you can cold smoke with you have to try cheese, my first batch will be opened this weekend.

Welcome Ted, I am fairly new here as well and live in Washington. I have been looking for where to get pork bell, guess I will be heading to cash n carry. 

Once you get a set up that you can cold smoke with you have to try cheese, my first batch will be opened this weekend.

Welcome Ted from another PNW smoker!

Cash & Carry is my go to store for most of my smoking supply's. If you have a Costco near you check them
For bellys for bacon smoking. Usually a bit better quality than the frozen ones at C&C. Surprised you were able to one. My C&C only sells them by the case.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky