New guy from Utah!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

utesfan

Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
I just started smoking meat and I already have questions!!! My first attempt was some spare ribs. Most of what I read says it take 4-5 hours to smoke a rack of ribs. But both times I have done it it has taken 7-8 hours. Does my thermo on my smoker read incorrectly because of the sun beating on the outside? OR am I doing something else wrong. I can't figure it out.

Anyway, I am from North Salt Lake Utah. I am 27 years old and my favorite thing in the world(besides smoked meat) is college football. I everything about it. And I want to make my experience better by smoking ribs, but I am having a tough time learning the tricks....Please help!!!!

Welcome to SMF
icon_exclaim.gif

I have a CGw/SFB. My ribs seem to vary quite a bit in time depending on the thickness of the ribs. I try to maintain 200 degrees. The stock lid thermometer is usually off by about 25 degrees starting higher than just below the rack to 25 degrees lower at the end of the smoke. & my ribs have been done in as little as 4 1/2 hrs to 7 hrs or a little more. Depends on how thick they are.

Welcome UtesFan -

The thermometers on the smokers are rarely correct.

First check it by dipping it in boiling water - it should read 212 degrees.

Second get a second thermometer to check the meats temperature.

Third use the 3-2-1- method until you get the hang of it. Some people always use it and it turns out some great ribs in about 5 to 6 hours.

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/ribs.htm

Welcome to the SMF, the best place to find stuff about smokin' meats and anything else on your palate. Do check your thermo as suggested, and think about investing in a meat probe thermo, it'll will really come in handy in more ways than one.

we're here for the help... but it does help to know what kind of smoker you have & whats the temp outside- that will make the great answer you get- and trust me on this - someone here has your rig,your meat,your recipe , & your answer.....w/in a couple hrs. this is thebest site on the web for ... well... smoking meat...

Welcome to SMF UtesFan!!! I couldn't agree more with needing to know what kind of smoker you have. Even if your thermo is accurate but you happen to have a smaller offset of one kind or another with a lid mounted thermometer it still won't read grate temps. Most of them I have known are 25°-50° hotter at the lid mounted therm than at grate level where the cooking is happening. Once you know the difference, then you can use the mounted thermometer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky