new guy from Cleveland Ohio...first post complete with first Q view!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke something

Original poster
May 20, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Guys! I've been lurking on this site, and Amazingribs for about 2 year. I have learned ALOT and I'm ready to learn even more! I completed my very first smoke on my very first smoker last week.....and I think I'm addicted!! I had my heart set on a pellet smoker, but I decided to start my BBQ voyage with something a bit more cost effective...behold my Smoke Vault

Assembly was a piece of cake. I got a great deal on i. It did show up with a couple of minor dents in it from shipping, but it adds character. I got it outside (the wife said no smoking in the living room) and seasoned it up. Operating the Vault was easy, and with the help of my new igrill2, holding a steady temp was no problem. I REALLY want to do a brisket, but I decided for my first cook I would do a couple of racks of St. Louis style ribs, and a whole chicken.

I whipped up a batch of Meatheads Memphis Dust rub and got to work. The night before my cook I applied a thin coat of oil and the rub to the rib. I wrapped em in seran wrap and let them marinate overnight in the fridge. The following morning, I went to work on the yard bird. I wanted to leave it whole, so I tried my hand at the spatchcock. Pretty simple and presentation was gonna be awesome! I decided on using half hickory and half apple wood for my cook. Some prep pics:

I set my Smoke vault up at 225, and in went the ribs. After a couple of hours, they looked like this:

Time to throw in the chicke. After 2 more hours I couldn't help but peek

A total of almost 6 hours of smoking, and I was like a kid on Christmas! I think I did pretty well for my first cook!

I decided to keep one rack dry, and sauce the other.

Needless to say, I was in hog heaven! The ribs were amazing and the chicken was awesome! I tried to keep it simple for my first smoke. This weekend I want to do the same cook, but I'm going to try and wrap the ribs with apple juice for an hour, and I want to brine tje chicken first. What do you guys think?

Nice Job and Congrats on the Smoker

Gary

looking good there guy, keep up the good work. it only gets better as you go.
welcome1.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky