New guy from Choctaw

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokieWonKenobi

Original poster
May 23, 2018
Hey hey, just joined up, lurked for awhile though. I have a Weber Kettle and a 16" Horizon Classic, but I'm debating on selling the Horizon for a Camp Chef pellet, lol. I just can't get the hang of my offset. Oh well, I'm here and I love BBQ.

Reactions: kruizer
Good to have you here. Funny that Horizon would be my first choice for an upgrade from the OKJ Highland. I love my offset and think that I never want to smoke with anything else again ;)

George

Hmmm, smoked Wookiee. Could be a tasty dish.

Welcome to the site.

Chris

Hi from Edmond. How long have you had the offset and what difficulties are you experiencing. I keep a 20" Horizon out by Chandler.

Welcome to SMF!
Yes an off set takes some babysitting, but isn't that what this hobby is all about.
A good day for me would be to fire up my offset, put some ribs & beans on it & sit there feeding it wood all day while I drink a few beers, or do some yard work. I have a Lang so it holds it's temps pretty steady, so I can leave it for a half hour or so to do other things. I think if you stick with the offset & learn to use it & control the temps, you will want to keep it. After all food smoked over a wood fire is much better tasting than some chips or pellets burning. If it didn't, all the big BBQ restaurants would have huge electric smokers, or pellet burners. Now if your rushed for time & you want some good BBQ, then electric or pellet burners are about as easy as you can get, and they produce some tremendous BBQ. If your looking for something in between , then I would look at the Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" smoker. They hold steady temps all day long & you get the charcoal wood flavor that is as close to a pure wood burner your gonna get.
Very reasonably priced at $399.
Lots of choices!
Good luck!
Al

Great name there! The stickburner experience is not for everyone but I bet this site can help you get it going and help you love it. Very knowledgeable folks here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky