new guy checking in

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Deer Meat

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 8, 2006
Southwest Pennsylvania
Hello,

I am new to smoking and am very interested in learning. For the time being I have a brinkman electric smoker.( I know this is not the best)
But we are living in an apartment while we build our house. Then is when I would like to build my own offset fire box rig out of some 24" pipe 3/8 thick. I have been aquiring some material here and there for this project.

So far I have done a couple of beer can chickens that turned out very well
I would like to try smoking a brisket during labor day weekend. Any advice would be appreciated. (remember I am stuck with the electric for now)

thanks

Welcome to SMF, Deer Meat. Check out our Beef Forum for briskets and check out the electric smoker forum. Should be some info there that will help you. Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome Deer Meat,

We have several folks cooking on electric smokers and turning out some fine looking foods. Check out posts by Doug123, Larry Maddock, PiggyRibs and SmokeMom. They all are cooking on some type of electric rig and doing some good looking stuff.

Hi Deer Meat, It's better for a New Guy checking in than an Old Guy checking out. I live in the city, in a condo on the 1st floor and do I smoke <laugh>. Actually the folks here aren't bad and I do as I please and they get fed as well .. Welcome to SMF and have some fun.

Joe

Glad to have you here DEAR MEAT. You should be able to find the answers to all of you questions, as well as uncover some fine recipes. Good luck with the construction of your smoker, post some pictures when it's finished. Welcome!

Welcome Dearmeat,
You will find that there is someone here using just about everytype of smoker you can think of. As to your Brisket, what is the question, will this be your first attempt? Are you planning on showing off for a crowd on the holiday? If that is true, do one for practice.

Grab a cold one, and jump right into the flow. Remember, whatever you are smoking....LOW AND SLOW

howdy deer,

glad you finally decided to stop by.

i agree with everyone else. dont knock the electric smoker to bad. a good friend of mine only uses an electric, and loves it. its convienient, low maint. very easy to control the amout of smoke your supplying to your food, like jerky dont take a lot of smoke to make good he will only apply a few chunks and let it go.

but i agree with you that fire is the old school way and thats the way it needs to be. but he has me convienced to get an ele. and i probably will so if i need to make something but dont want to watch the fire its easier.

any way.

post some pics of your creations sometime

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky