1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New gas smoker

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by Nomes, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Nomes

Nomes Newbie

My old one is kaput so I need new one.
    I'm looking at 3 about the same price.
    Masterbuilt MPS 230S Propane Smoker
    Cuisinart COS-244 Vertical 36" Propane Smoker, Black
    Dyna-Glo 20-lb Cylinder Electronic Ignition Gas Vertical Smoker

What do you think is the better one?

2. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

No idea.
    What was your Kaput one?

3. smokin pop-pop

smokin pop-pop Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Don’t know bout any of those but I have a masterbuilt 40 propane for about 8 years now and it still works great!

4. smokin pop-pop

smokin pop-pop Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Hey Nomes I just looked up all 3 and I rule out the cuisinart just because of the combo water and chip tray and the 14 by 14 racks. Just seems a little too small IMHO.

5. Nomes

Nomes Newbie

kaput, endo, finy, dead
    I've been leaning toward the cuisinart. But is one of the real cheep just as good?

6. solman

solman Meat Mopper

he meant the make/model of the one that died.

7. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Have you looked at a Camp Chef Smoke Vault?
    I've had one for years & use it all the time & it's still running great!
    Al

8. Nomes

Nomes Newbie

The old one was a masterbuilt electric and I had some trouble with the electric and made a gas out of it and just need to stop messing with it and get a new one.

9. solman

solman Meat Mopper

i'm biased, but i vote masterbuilt propane and a little modding to add a propane temperature and flow controller mod. :)

10. Nomes

Nomes Newbie

Mods yes. insulate and better gas control and wind blocking so it doesn't blow out the flame.

11. Nomes

Nomes Newbie

I've looked at smokers till my eyes turned smoky lite blue.
    I would like a good working one.
    Does anybody know if there is a difference between 1 that is $100 or 1 that is $200 or they all about the same?

12. Nomes

Nomes Newbie

Dec 31/18
    Well I decided on a new smoker after long looking and comparing a lot of them and looking at many, many reviews (reviews are mostly BS) companies pay people to do either good or bad ones.
    Any sifting threw a lot of info. I decided on a Dyna-Glow 36in. Vertical Double Door gasser $170. from Home Depot.
    Part of the reason was the overall weight and part is it should have a cast iron burner. Weight hopefully means better built exterior? and a lot cause of the burner and it has a chip bowl, a water bowl and a grease catch plate. I am going to take pictures when I get it home on Jan. 8 and as I do some mods to it and post them as time goes on. Will also post how it works before and after the mods.

13. ctunited

ctunited Newbie

A bit late to the thread here, but I too just bought a DG 36" vertical - I mean not even seasoned yet. I'm planning on adding a gasket around each of the doors (similar to that on an oven), and was curious if you did any mods for the temp gauge (have read it is not the most accurate).

Any other mods?

Thanks

14. Nomes

Nomes Newbie

So far I really like mine I have smoked bacon and ham also did ribs and a mildly smoked pork roast and made pulled pork sandwiches.
    I use 3 pieces of wood in mine about 1 in across and 2 in long for a nice mild smoke flavor.
    Good luck with yours.