new gas smoker, QUESTION

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rangerwalt

Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
morriston fl
I just retired my Master Forge gas smoker (2 door)....wore it out. It has worked very well for many years. But the cost of a new burner and control unit is all most cost og a new smoker.  So I have ordered a Smoke Hollow 38202G (2 door).

This one has the smoke exhaust port centered on the top rear panel.  

QUESTION.... Would it adversely effect operation of the unit if I moved the exhaust port to the CENTER of the TOP and had a stack instead of just a hole. Seems to me it would draw better, and not have the problem of wind blowing into the exhaust hole in the back top of the smoker.

Thank you for your ideas on this.

Honestly it's better to have the smoke exit the side as it has been built. Keep condensation and weather out of the unit better. Which means you won't have drips on your food.

Last edited:
Ranger,

I'll second what Dirtsailor said.

I have this same smoker, and the way it it situated on my deck the exhaust points North, which is where most of the wind in my yard comes from, and I've not experienced any issues. 

It draws just fine as is, and always has TBS coming out of the exhaust.

Don't know what mods you may have done to your Master Forge, but the SH will benefit from some gasket material around the doors, replacing the chip pan with a cast iron skillet and a needle valve mod.  

Enjoy, and let us know how it works out for you!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky