New garden this year

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Medina Joe

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
Ohio
So after canning, blanching, making pickles, sauces to support my family for a whole year. Last years garden was not big enough. This year's garden was expanded 20 feet. So here the break down 42 tomato plants, 25 pepper, 15 cauliflower, 15 broccoli, 3 rows of sweet corn, 1 row of radishes, 1 row of beets, 12 cabbages, 12 pickling cucumber, 2 spaghetti squash, 2 yellow squash, 2 zucchini, 2 water melons, 2 cantaloupe, 1 pumpkin, 5 rows of walla walla onion, 5lb of potato spuds, 1lb of sweet potato. Plus my fall plants which will come in July. I'am sun burnt, sore and tired and happy.

Attachments

• IMG_3239.JPG
    IMG_3239.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 59
That's gonna be nice . Hope you get a great harvest . I put in 5 pepper plants and 2 tomatoes . Rabbits ate all but 2 plants . So I let my cattle dog eat the rabbits .
Be watchin , keep us updated .

looks like you have nice garden going, we have a smaller one which the deer love to eat, but that's ok because I like eating the deer, I know they're eating healthy!!

Reactions: Medina Joe
looks like you have nice garden going, we have a smaller one which the deer love to eat, but that's ok because I like eating the deer, I know they're eating healthy!!

I like my own veg's & wild game. I started eating ground hogs last year. They started attacking the garden. Not to bad if you grind them up and add hog fat.

Oh, to be young enough to tend that much garden... I'm down to a few raised beds at this point in my life.
View attachment 395994

Braz, It kicked my A$$ this year. I had to finish with my tiller because my tractor starter went out. I just sent it out to be rebuilt......

Thanks Joe. I started my seeds in Jan-Feb in the house and by early April I was running outta room in here so before my (official) end of frost in late April I had to get them outside. (As you) it didn't take long till I saw I was going to need more room ( I have separate onion-garlic and cherry tomato beds elsewhere on the property along with herb gardens to boot. I can grow pretty much year round here with the need of a cold frame first two months of the year. It's pretty special eating what we grow and pick than caning all the other to get us through the remainder of the year. I look forward to pictures of your garden and wish you all the success.

Thanks Joe. I started my seeds in Jan-Feb in the house and by early April I was running outta room in here so before my (official) end of frost in late April I had to get them outside. (As you) it didn't take long till I saw I was going to need more room ( I have separate onion-garlic and cherry tomato beds elsewhere on the property along with herb gardens to boot. I can grow pretty much year round here with the need of a cold frame first two months of the year. It's pretty special eating what we grow and pick than caning all the other to get us through the remainder of the year. I look forward to pictures of your garden and wish you all the success.

Like wise, I'm going to be building my first green house this year. keep me posted

Garden is looking good. Just need to finish weeding

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 29
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 29
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: flatbroke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky