New from Texas

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by vandman, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Whats up everyone. New to all of this threading. I live in SA, Texas and I am just starting to smoke! I have been grilling for awhile and I classify myself as a pretty good cook. Im here for advice, ideas, recipes, friends, etc....

I currently have a CharBroil Gas Grill (it's shiny[​IMG] ) but i am building a UDS right now. I have read alot of post on steps and such but I will take any advice! Funny thing is i saw this YouTube video on a BBq contest about 20 years ago and a couple of ZZ Top guys had this smoker made of a 55 gallon drum, so i decided i wanted to make one. I started it and was close to done when i needed some info about the "Burn Out". I found this site and found a lot of threads on this subject. I had no idea that these smokers were that popular and it was an art to build one!!![​IMG]

2. Welcome fellow San Antonian! I just joined after reading posts for awhile. Everyone is real helpful, and I am sure you will have no problem getting some help on your UDS.

3. fatback joe

fatback joe Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome to the forum.

4. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome one fron San Antonio, glad you're part of the SMF. Good luck on your project.

5. dingle

dingle Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Welcome Vandman!! Stick around awhile! Lots to learn, great folks and fun.

6. cbucher

cbucher Meat Mopper

welcome to the site

7. earache_my_eye

earache_my_eye Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Welcome to the SMF vandman! This is a great place to get answers to any questions you may have....whether you search them out in previous posts, or ask directly in a new thread. Lots of knowledgeable people here willing to help.

Check out Jeff's Free 5-Day eCourse , it's a great way to get you started down the right path to smoke nirvana.....[​IMG]

L8r,
    Eric

8. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome to SMF! Glad you found us!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

9. norrell6

norrell6 Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Welcome.

I think that you will find that a knowledge of cooking in general will translate into good smokes in no time. Read up on different forums about whatever kind(s) of meat you are into and you will get some great ideas. I have found that if you ask a question in here, it is answered by many helpful people.

Good luck and hope to see some pics of your UDS with que on it.

10. dennisdocb

dennisdocb Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Welcome to SMF you'll find you can get all your answers right here.

11. bbqgoddess

bbqgoddess Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Howdy!
    Can't wait to see pix of the UDS!

12. bhille42

bhille42 Meat Mopper

welcome to the forum!

13. Thanks, I can't wait to get the UDS up and running! I will post pics as soon as i can get back to working on it.

One question about burn outs, I plan on doing one burn out followed by a seasoning the next day. Do you think this will be enough. The drum had grape juice in it.

14. cman95

cman95 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Welcome to SMF. This is THE place to be.