New from Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vandman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
San Antonio, TEXAS
Whats up everyone. New to all of this threading. I live in SA, Texas and I am just starting to smoke! I have been grilling for awhile and I classify myself as a pretty good cook. Im here for advice, ideas, recipes, friends, etc....

I currently have a CharBroil Gas Grill (it's shiny
wink.gif
) but i am building a UDS right now. I have read alot of post on steps and such but I will take any advice! Funny thing is i saw this YouTube video on a BBq contest about 20 years ago and a couple of ZZ Top guys had this smoker made of a 55 gallon drum, so i decided i wanted to make one. I started it and was close to done when i needed some info about the "Burn Out". I found this site and found a lot of threads on this subject. I had no idea that these smokers were that popular and it was an art to build one!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

Welcome fellow San Antonian! I just joined after reading posts for awhile. Everyone is real helpful, and I am sure you will have no problem getting some help on your UDS.

Welcome one fron San Antonio, glad you're part of the SMF. Good luck on your project.

Welcome to the SMF vandman! This is a great place to get answers to any questions you may have....whether you search them out in previous posts, or ask directly in a new thread. Lots of knowledgeable people here willing to help.

Check out Jeff's Free 5-Day eCourse , it's a great way to get you started down the right path to smoke nirvana.....
wink.gif

L8r,
Eric

Welcome.

I think that you will find that a knowledge of cooking in general will translate into good smokes in no time. Read up on different forums about whatever kind(s) of meat you are into and you will get some great ideas. I have found that if you ask a question in here, it is answered by many helpful people.

Good luck and hope to see some pics of your UDS with que on it.

Thanks, I can't wait to get the UDS up and running! I will post pics as soon as i can get back to working on it.

One question about burn outs, I plan on doing one burn out followed by a seasoning the next day. Do you think this will be enough. The drum had grape juice in it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky