New from IL with an MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin97

Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
Northern IL
Hi all,
New to smoking. Got a Masterbuilt electric smoker for Christmas last year. Have done a little smoking with it so far, things have gone well.
Going to attempt a turkey for thanksgiving and was looking for some tips. It's a 14# bird. I have an injector as well to use.
Any info would be of much thanks!

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything  ........
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Hello from Iowa, good to see another midwesterner! Actually grew up in IL so I share my roots with ya.

Turkey is one of my favorite things to do on my smoker. I'm actually doing 4-5 of them the morning of Thanksgiving. Best advice I can give you about smoking a turkey is "Brine It!" I just had a nice thread last week where I put up my brine recipe but there are tons of them on here if you just search for it.

Here's a link to my thread: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/152319/5-turkeys-for-thanksgiving-any-tips-or-tricks

Welcome to the site and Smoke it up!!

Reactions: smokin97
Welcome to the group!  You'll find that this is a great place to share ideas on smoking, grilling, etc.  There are plenty of folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

I'm with Josh...I like to brine poultry before smoking.  IMO turkeys are best when you smoke at a cook temp of 325* or higher, which is kinda out of the MES's top end range.  You can still get a great tasting bird at lower temps, but its pretty hard to get a nice crisp skin.  Just be sure to get the bird to an IT of 165-170* in the breast and thigh.

Good luck!  Be sure to post up some qview!

Red

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

Happy smoken.

David

Ok, gonna give the brine a shot.
Going to inject "injectable marinade- Roasted Garlic and Herb" flavor in the bird and rub some Weber Garlic and herb seasoning on the outside. What wood would you folks use? Apple, Alder, Hickory, Cherry, or Oak is what I have but a trip to Gander Mtn wouldn't hurt haha.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky