New experiment with large beef shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

catzcradle

ImpEx - Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
Original poster
I had picked up beef shoulder before to make ground beef for beef sticks.  Good price, not a ton of fat on it, and grinds nice.  I had seen someone mention smoking one, and being better than brisket.  So I picked up a 21 pounder and gave it a shot.  First thing I noticed, it took longer than the typical brisket, and needed to be pulled out at a lower temp.  This beast was in my Cookshack for 22 hrs at 225 and was still only at 185.  However, using a skewer, showed it was not only tender, but almost past tender with no resistance to the skewer.

Should of snapped a pix after I attempted to slice it, but really, it became pulled.  Put a full recipe of mop sauce on it after it had rested a few hrs, and been pulled/chopped.  I really liked it as there is less of the large fat deposits the brisket had.  The consensus around work was mixed.  Some like the brisket I bring in better, some like this.  It was certainly a handful trying to pull out of the smoker.

Our Smart and Final has these whole in a vac-bag for 2.29/lb.   Makes wonderful bbq beef sammies :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky