New "Easy Access" GOSM w/BassProView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

polishmeat

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 30, 2009
Chicago
I went to the local Bass Pro shop to grab a 3/8 plate for my grinder, and remembered to snap a couple cell pics of the new GOSM with dual drawers for water and chip pan. Just wanted to share with you guys.

After checking it out thoroughly, these are the new features I noticed:

- 2 drawers for water and chip pan access
- Wooden grip door handle
- Bigger, more comfortable, and cooler looking carrying handles
- Legs are still rolled steel, a tiny bit shorter narrower
- Awesome hook attachment mounted on the top of chamber

The new unit sells for 169, while the older one is at 149. I really love the triangular hook attachment they added to the unit - I will steal this idea and mod my older version GOSM lol. The smoking chamber itself is unchanged. Body is still spot welded. The dimensions are pretty identical, it's a couple centimeters shorter, but wider than the older unit, but it's minimal.

While the newly added drawers might be a convenience for some, I prefer the older version personally. For one, the chip pan drawer is very small in height, barely allowing the stock pan to fit. If want to go with a larger pan, like I did, you would have to modify the rack to accomodate the larger size. Also - I don't know about you, but sliding that water pan in and out is just asking for spills, and even with a half full pan, you will end up inserting the drawer really slow, and that's too much for this guy. Lastly, recovery time in the GOSM is great in my opinion, so not sure if the drawer changes will end up doing much - but perhaps.

The advertisement on the front was a B***H to remove, and I think the employees were starting at me funny. But I had to do it for the sake of the pics:

Side by side:

Pretty Sweet:

Thanks for post the pics, pm. I was curious about these myself. I don't know why GOSM didn't think of this sooner. I wonder if they'll be building a BB with those drawers...

I wish my GOSM had the chip door. Anyone know where to order replacement racks for a GOSM? I can't find mine anywhere so I can't even use it. I might just have to make some on my own.

Now that has some merit but I'm thinking that it wouldn't let you use a bigger chip pan thats the first thing I changed out on my GOSM. but it's a good idea thou.

Wow, sort of makes me wish that I had waited a few months to get mine. Looks like they upgraded a few different things across the board. This is a good sign though, shows that Landmann is serious about selling these and not just throwing the brand away.

I appreciate the mods for some folks...but I never have found opening the smoker door to my GOSM whether to add chips or water a problem. The heat recovery is so very fast, that has never been an issue even in cold weather....if that is the only benefit from the mods.........Rick

The only advantage I see is you should not be hit by a huge blast of smoke when you open the drawer like you would when you open the main door, which might make it so you haven't desensitised yourself to the smoke flavor as much when it's time to eat. On the down side, it looks like you're stuck with a smoking box that's way too small.

I like the idea of the water pan drawer. When I've had mine loaded, I sometimes found it a little difficult to refill the water pan, but then again, I guess I could have used a smaller water container, lol. I also really like the sausage rack on top. This is a modification that I have been looking to do for awhile now, but have never really gotten around to making it happen. As far as the chip pan, you might be able to replace it w/ a SS one that is about the same height, only longer. I did that w/ my older GOSM and it works pretty well w/ the only negative being the lid warped a little on me, but still works.

bought the display model for 20% off, it was the only one they had. I can control the temps pretty well right now, but may look into doing the needle valve mod come summer. You seem to lose some heat and smoke from the drawers, and I am going to be looking into a better way to seal them up, but honestly I can hold my temps no problem at this point so I may just leave it.

The water does like to spill if you are not careful when opening, but if you remember to open slow its really not a problem. I have barely enough clearance to use my 10" cast iron skillet instead of the chip box, but that would be easy enough to modify if you wanted something deeper. I am having problems maintaining a blue smoke instead of having it go to white, got but thats probably operator error and have a thread up now hoping to get some input on it.

All in all, I had a choice between the single door and the drawer design, and I went with the drawers and I am glad I did. Just from messing around a bit I think the added versatility is nice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky