New Dry Curing Chamber Build...42cu.ft. stainless double door

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Think those will work? Should I order one to try out? Or are you trying to build one? I also found a 40amp, but price really starts to climb for beefier components I'm sure....
30 Amp should work fine. I am going to design my 5V switch based upon that module. I will let you know how it works out.

JC :emoji_cat:

Well, I have completed my analysis of the issue and have concluded that there is no way I can get around using a high side switch. This means that we can do the 12V to 5V switch either with the DC-DC converter you posted earlier or simply use a +5 VDC supply. I am now prototyping the high side switch for testing.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: indaswamp
Placed an order on AliExpress for 10 MOSFETs. Cost + shipping was just over $3.

50P06 the P-Channel brother to the DC switches I made for you.

Bad news.. Won't get to me until Sept.

• Sad
Beautiful...
IMG_20220706_135341.jpg

She's rockin right along holding steady... Temp. drops to 55.9*F then slowly rise to around 57.2 before the system can catch up switching the cooling on @57*F. Cooling takes about 8 minutes, slow rise takes about 12 minutes.

The dH (dehumidify) cycle is smooth as well. I have the offset @2%RH so when it hits 82%RH the dH kicks on. That takes about 10 minutes to drop the humidity back down to 80%. Not much overshoot on the humidity cycle.

The return dry air is running 45-46*F and does help to stabilize the temp. longer before cooling cycle kicks on. It is not enough to really cool the chamber down on it's own though....but it does help a little. Slightly drier air over the radiators, which helps prevent condensation....
IMG_20220705_230613.jpg

• Love
Reactions: JC in GB
Beautiful...
View attachment 636852
She's rockin right along holding steady... Temp. drops to 55.9*F then slowly rise to around 57.2 before the system can catch up switching the cooling on @57*F. Cooling takes about 8 minutes, slow rise takes about 12 minutes.

The dH (dehumidify) cycle is smooth as well. I have the offset @2%RH so when it hits 82%RH the dH kicks on. That takes about 10 minutes to drop the humidity back down to 80%. Not much overshoot on the humidity cycle.

The return dry air is running 45-46*F and does help to stabilize the temp. longer before cooling cycle kicks on. It is not enough to really cool the chamber down on it's own though....but it does help a little. Slightly drier air over the radiators, which helps prevent condensation....
View attachment 636853

Awesome!!!!!!!

Also- I am not using the peltier eva-dry dehumidifiers. The cold dH unit works exceptionally well and I like the additional cooling for a longer time frame between cooling cycles. This removes the maintenance on those units having to empty the reservoirs! I like that! And I'm projecting that I should get over a month from the humidifier reservoir since there is no condensation on the cooling cycle like a regular compressor cooling system. Which forces the humidifer on to replace the lost humidity during the cooling cycle. I will not have that problem....case hardening should not be an issue in this chamber.

I have a couple add ons I want to do. 1. is to add a baffle plate over the intake fan to the dH refrigerator. This will protect the fan blades and force the fan to draw air only from the sides of the fan at the top near the ceiling where the most humid air should be (humidity rises). 2. is to fabricate a shelf on the outside of the freezer for the condensate jug to sit on so it will be secure and not tip over.

Just an update on testing...
I ordered 2 new 1 1/2" 11.26CFM 12V fans for the intake and return vents of the dH refrigerator to increase the air flow through the system. The airflow was too slow and the little refirgerator was able to chill down low enough to flip the thermostat to shut the unit off. I installed the new fans this evening and running another test tonight. System is running GREAT now! Very responsive and pulls the humidity down FAST!

11.26CFM cycles a little over 1/4 of the chamber air per minute through the little dH unit.

So that part of the chamber is good to go. Only thing now is the airflow from the cooling fans. With 8 fans, I may have too much airflow. I need to verify the CFM of the fans to know for sure. JC in GB JC in GB is trying to work out a solution for a controller on the fans, but it is not as easy as it seems.

Last resort, I can pull the fans off the radiators, add another aluminum plate to the existing baffle and run it up to the ceiling of the cabinet. Drill cirlces and install the number of fans I need for the proper airflow. This will even out the airflow over all 4 of the radiators.

One way or another, we'll get it sorted out.....

I may make some snack sticks and dry them in the chamber the way it is now...just to check the airflow and put a real test on the systems...especially the cold dehumidifier. That is working out much better than I first thought it would!

I have (4) 80mm x 80mm x 15mm 12v 4pin 13.31-46.57 CFM Fans ordered. That should give me a flow rate range between 1.23-4.31 Inches per second airflow through the chamber...which is perfect. From his research, Fidel Toldra says the optimum flow rate should be between 0.05-0.1 meters per second which is about 2-4 inches per second.

That looks like a nice set up.
I like the "no stop" feature on the Noctura. Would hate to have fans stop running n the chamber because the knob was turned too low..... little more than I would like to pay, but at this point, what's another $25 bucks?!?! LOL!! The new fans, cords, and controller will be about another $100 all together, but at least I only need to buy 4 fans instead of 8. I just could not make 8 work....too fast flow rate with the individual fans and can't slow them down enough.

I have some tinkering I can do on the chamber, but until components arrive sometime next week I am at a stand still.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky