New Dry Curing Chamber Build...42cu.ft. stainless double door

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I would use LED lighting. Get a well diffused LED light and run it off the 12 VDC supply.

My $0.02...

Awesome! Thanks! I was considering 6000K so those look about right. How many do you think I will need for my chamber? I want it lit up pretty good on the inside.

Also, do you know of a door plunger switch that would work? I'd need two of those....so that the lights come on with either switch.

Awesome! Thanks! I was considering 6000K so those look about right. How many do you think I will need for my chamber? I want it lit up pretty good on the inside.

Also, do you know of a door plunger switch that would work? I'd need two of those....so that the lights come on with either switch.

An E79 series snap action switch would work for you just fine. You will need to find a mounting scheme for it though. They are good for 10 amps. Here is a picture of one.

I would think 2 or 3 of those LED strips would provide plenty of light to see into the nooks and crannies.

JC

Reactions: indaswamp
I am working on a scheme to switch between 12 VDC and 5 VDC to the TEMs. This should increase efficiency and also put years of life in the TEMs.

It is a bit easier said than done I am finding.

JC

Reactions: indaswamp
Reactions: motocrash
My new chamber is operational. Put power to the systems at 3:45pm today; doing systems checks. Everything looks great! The radiator temps. are running 3.5-4*F below chamber temp. so that is about PERFECT! 2 radiators per TEM looks like the sweet spot for 180watt TEM chips. I also have the dehumidification refrigerator hooked up direct to power for auxiliary chilling for initial cool down. I am tracking the RH%, started at 59%RH and it is down around 39%RH right now so PLENTY of horse power for dehumidification. Will need to figure out if I will even need the eva-dry peltier dehumidifiers running in parallel. Going to depend on how much cooling the dehumidification refrigerator generates while up and running.

I have not installed the shrouds yet....will do that after systems check to allow for easy access to the components.

I used some aluminum flashing and Stainless steel tie wire to secure the hose to the PVC fitting on the dehumidifier lines. Used gorilla tape first, then fastened the flashing wrap around it. Insulated with 1/2" thick cotton duct insulation; has R4 value.
IMG_20220705_134651.jpg

Lights on! Systems GO!!!
IMG_20220705_155214.jpg

The components and layout on the roof of the chamber..
IMG_20220705_151400.jpg

The inside...
IMG_20220703_210438.jpg

I liked the metallic blue color on the TEM alumimum water blocks so I bought a can of Krylon Fusion paint in that color to paint the dehumidification header. I think it looks cool....

Last edited:
It is 5:10p.m. right now so about 1.5 hours up and running...

IMG_20220705_170739.jpg

5.5*F cooling to go. I can't believe the humidity is down to 25.8%RH!!! So cool! Man this is going to work GREAT! (It is hooked up direct for chilling, won't pull the RH% down that much once hooked up to the controller)

Last edited:
Very nice. Can't wait to see that filled with product.

Hats off to your awesome build!
Thanks @JC in CG! I could not have done it without your help. It was a very fun project and took way more time than I first thought it would. But it should perform exceptionally well.

I just need to dial in the settings and get a feel for how the new chamber runs. 4 times the volume of my current chamber so hopefully no wild swings in RH%....I probably need to turn the humidifier up a little....taking too long to raise the RH%. Gonna run it a little bit and dial it in first, then transfer meats to the new chamber.

I have (6) 18" X 24" kitchen towels soaked with water, then wrung out hanging in the chamber to generate humidity. Got a spike to 86%RH immediately after closing the door, but the cold dehumidifier pulled it down to 82.5%RH in about 30 minutes then slowed considerably. I set the controller there at 82.5%RH for about an hour and it was able to maintain that setting. Will lower to 80%RH and see how it goes...

Reactions: daveomak
So...I had to open the chamber doors to take a peek. I had not wrung out the towels enough and water had dripped on the floor-that's the reason why the dehumidifer was pulling the moisture out slowly. I wiped the floor dry and wrung the towels out better and that will simulate salumi better. Now the system is acting as it should. Will let it run all night and check on it in the morning.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky