New Dry Curing Chamber Build...42cu.ft. stainless double door

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
COOLING SUCCESS!!!!! FINALLY!!!! WOOHOO!!

Last idea I had...I needed a massive increase in heat dissipation; Sooooo........

I disassembled the TEM module and removed both the fans and the heat sink from the hot side. Took my spare that I bought and pulled off the chiller block and replaced the heat sink and fans on the one in operation with the chiller block with the ports facing 180* the other way. I used the spare radiator fan, spare pump, and a 1 gallon plastic bucket for a reservoir. put it together and turned it on. The hot side is maintaining 90* water temp. and the chiller side has pulled the cabinet temp. down to 63*F from 71*F. Proof it will work-just need to size the components correctly and get the refrigeration TEM modules. I may need (3) 180Watt chillers... That will give me 540 watts of cooling.

Beer time boys!! Been stressed last couple days, finally got proof of concept; IT WILL WORK!!!!!

Only bummer is I'll have to wait another month for the parts!! LOL!!! Oh well...I'll have summer fishing to preoccupy my time. Red Snapper season opens in 2 weeks...

Last edited:
JC in GB JC in GB

Did a little more research... the TEM chillers like the one you bought are specifically for refrigeration because the copper tubing is hollow and filled with refrigerant. the cooling side is designed to be on the bottom and the heat side should be on top. This allows the liquid refrigerant to pool on the bottom of the copper tubing on top of the heat side of the peltier module. This flashes the refrigerant to vapor and it rises up the tube into the finned/fan section of the radiator where it is cooled and condenses again...excellent heat transfer...which shifts the differential of the peltier unit so it can chill faster with a lower temperature.

(Whatever you do- do not puncture the copper tubing or drill into it.)

This is why those units are so efficient at cooling!!!! Yes, I will by purchasing (3) 180Watt refrigeration chillers!

Reactions: JC in GB
Well, another road block with aliexpress...

Apparently my account was hacked. Ali won't take my payment and wants me to verify who I am by sending a litany of personal information...including a bank statement, current picture I.D. Picture of the credit card I will be using...and a host of other stuff. I did a google search for the code aliexpress gave me for the problem and a number of other people have had the same issue and never got it resolved...some jumping through the hoops and sending the information in 5-6 times over 6-7 months and it was still not resolved. So I'm screwed unless a family member or a friend opens an account and places the order for me.

Not happy today. So close...I can see the finish line and circumstances beyond my control are stopping me. I'll talk to someone tomorrow.....

rant over... this has been such a roller coaster of a ride with this project.

• Wow
PM me all the info as to the web site for the company and what you need and I'll order it for you

I found the chillers on amazon. Will be paying more for them, but they will be here by tomorrow @10pm... When they arrive I will begin redesigning the cooling system to fit the chillers. I will only be using 1 reservoir to have as little water in the system as possible, also moving it to the side for easier refilling. Will need to pick up some more hose line for hook up...

My TEM chillers arrived today at 2:30 pm from Amazon!! Yeah!!!
IMG_20220511_174425.jpg

IMG_20220511_174440.jpg

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_20220512_082401.jpg

I hooked up the new chillers to the system last night and ran them all night to do a cooling test. SUCCESS!

The air dumping into the chamber at the bottom of the radiators is 50*F, and the chamber temp in the middle of the chamber is 52*F; the chiller water reservoir is running 47.5*F right now. After all the challenges I had with this project, I tempered my expectations....but it worked for JC in GB....so......it should work for me too as long as I sized the system correctly. With a name like 'snowman chillers'....they ought to work....right???? LOL!!!

I am so happy right now! Cooling test has been running for 8 hours as of now...I do not know how low the chillers can take it, but at 52*F- I'm calling it a success as the system will be running 54-56*F.

Last edited:
With proof of concept complete, now I just need to clean the system up. I will make some mounting clips for the chillers and add some insulation.
Still need to do a dehumidification test to see if the two peltier units I have can handle the cu.ft. of air. Then I'll know whether I need to add auxiliary cold dehumidification.
Will work on hooking up the controllers and the PWMs for the fans. And I need to deep clean the doors...especially around the moulding.

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 631696
I hooked up the new chillers to the system last night and ran the mall night to do a cooling test. SUCCESS!

The air dumping into the chamber at the bottom of the radiators is 50*F, and the chamber temp in the middle of the chamber is 52*F; the chiller water reservoir is running 47.5*F right now. After all the challenges I had with this project, I tempered my expectations....but it worked for JC in GB....so......it should work for me too as long as I sized the system correctly. With a name like 'snowman chillers'....they ought to work....right???? LOL!!!

I am so happy right now! Cooling test has been running for 8 hours as of now...I do not know how low thee chillers can take it, but at 52*F- I'm calling it a success as the system will be running 54-56*F.

Excellent news on the testing success of your new unit. Looking forward to seeing the final build. :emoji_sunglasses:

What is your ambient Temp?

JC :emoji_cat:

A 20 degree drop is pretty good. That should work well for you. So glad to see it coming together.
:emoji_thumbsup:
I daisy chained the chillers running off the same water reservoir in series. I also cut down the coleman jug I bought on a chopsaw...cut a 3" doughnut out. Glued the top back on with gorilla glue. The entire system only has about 4 cups of water...

:emoji_thumbsup:
I daisy chained the chillers running off the same water reservoir in series. I also cut down the coleman jug I bought on a chopsaw...cut a 3" doughnut out. Glued the top back on with gorilla glue. The entire system only has about 4 cups of water...

Nice. I keep the water at the minimum level to help with response time.

A 20 degree drop is pretty good. That should work well for you. So glad to see it coming together.
I am really impressed that the two units can cool 42.5cu.ft. of space 20*F. The dehumidification test is next, but I am taking a break from fiddling with my chamber and going fishing on the coast tomorrow...tides and weather are perfect. First fishing trip of the summer. Taking my friend and his wife and hope to catch some redfish.

Will fool around with it some more this weekend....

I am really impressed that the two units can cool 42.5cu.ft. of space 20*F. The dehumidification test is next, but I am taking a break from fiddling with my chamber and going fishing on the coast tomorrow...tides and weather are perfect. First fishing trip of the summer. Taking my friend and his wife and hope to catch some redfish.

Will fool around with it some more this weekend....

Have fun and hope you get a nice catch.

I am always impressed by the power density of electronic components. I am also surprised that the TEM can move that much heat being so small.

So glad that this met your expectations.

I would love it if you sent a bracket and wire ties. I also loved your snack sticks and LeBlanc's. Not sure what I have to send back unless you want a larger capacity DC switch?

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: Steve H
Well, once I get the PID controller figures out and up and running, I'll do a dehumidification test.

I hooked the system up direct to power and installed the humidifier and dehumidifiers. Ran the RH% up to 80% and maintained overnight. The system cooled more efficiently with the humid air, got the temp. down to 46*F with the radiator outlet air @45*F....this was at ambient temp. of 68*F so 22*F of cooling below ambient.
IMG_20220514_094708.jpg

I am impressed! And anxious to get the PID controller figured out and operational.

Looking forward to the pics of this all set up and running. Then again with product in it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky