• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New Chargriller Gravity Fed Grill

RCAlan

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 26, 2018
While waiting for a Jack center pin to USB cord to arrive too power my CG 980 via a 20,000 mAh battery, I gave my CG 980 a face lift…
Image.jpeg

FYI… Anyone considering buying a CG 980 GF, Lowe’s Hardware stores has them marked down to $540.00 clearance price.

Attachments

Last edited:

RCAlan

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 26, 2018
Just an update… For anyone that wants a little more freedom and range by not having to deal with extension cords on their CG 980’s, There’s a few options to consider. I already have a few Ryobi battery operated yard tools at the house, so I just purchased their 40v Power Source 300 Watt Battery Inverter to connect to my grill. The Inverter looks like this…
RYI300BG_02.jpeg

It’s able to connect directly to the 120v outlet that the CG 980 has with no problems. I happen to have one of Ryobi’s larger 40V Lithium-Ion 6.0 Ah High Capacity Battery, so I expect to be able to get at least 8-10 hours of run time from it.. I still have to give it a long cook test run to verify. The only down side I see for others would be the cost of the batteries.. They ain’t cheap. Your other option and it’s much cheaper in cost would be is to purchase a 20,000 mAh battery power bank and a USB 5v to 12v inverter cable. Total cost was $45.00 dollars. I tried hooking up the 20,000 mAh power bank to the grill first using just a Jack center pin to USB cable cord and I received an ErU error msg. I then tried the 5v to 12v inverter cable and the grill fired up perfectly. How much run time with the 20,000 mAh power bank? Not sure, but I’m guessing over 8 hours as well.
The 5v to 12v inverter cable looks like this…
Image.jpeg

I hope the info helps any one considering their options and happy Low and Slow Smoking.

Last edited:

bill1

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 25, 2015
Nice idea on the power pack, esp if you're already using those batteries for other tools.
My pellet machine replaced my gas grill on a side concrete pad and I'm finding it tiresome to run an extension cord each time. Don't want to cut a slab to bring underground power and Code says overhead needs to be 9.5' up (I think?) which will be ugly, so this is a nice option to consider. My igniter hot finger is pushing the 300W but it's not on for long.

RCAlan

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 26, 2018
Nice idea on the power pack, esp if you're already using those batteries for other tools.
My pellet machine replaced my gas grill on a side concrete pad and I'm finding it tiresome to run an extension cord each time. Don't want to cut a slab to bring underground power and Code says overhead needs to be 9.5' up (I think?) which will be ugly, so this is a nice option to consider. My igniter hot finger is pushing the 300W but it's not on for long.
Give it a shot…. The Controller draws very little power from the battery. The only problem you may run into with your pellet grill is the start up with the igniter. I think Pit Boss recommends doing the manual startup procedures if a battery is going to be used. With these new Gravity Feed Smokers, the only main power draw is the fan that feeds the charcoals.. Which is a much less power requirement then what is required from a Pellet Smoker. If you have the resources, then give it a shot and post back how everything works out with the battery setup and your pellet grill. Good luck.

bill1

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 25, 2015
They all have a way to manual start, but it's easier to run an extension cord than messing with that!
The Ryobi approach is great if you already have their 40V batteries but I bought into the 19V Craftsman NiCads years ago and am too stubborn to change. I got about every tool they made around that system but an AC inverter was not one of them.
I think my best bet will be to use my electric bike battery (four 12V PbA scooter batteries) with a $25 car inverter.

RCAlan

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 26, 2018
They all have a way to manual start, but it's easier to run an extension cord than messing with that!
The Ryobi approach is great if you already have their 40V batteries but I bought into the 19V Craftsman NiCads years ago and am too stubborn to change. I got about every tool they made around that system but an AC inverter was not one of them.
I think my best bet will be to use my electric bike battery (four 12V PbA scooter batteries) with a $25 car inverter.
Good luck… Here’s a good posting to checkout as well..

Char-Griller 980 GF… Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

O C

Joined May 10, 2021
Good shout about using the inverter. I have several EGO power tools including the inverter and their batteries. I've used the inverter once so far, mostly just to be sure I could grill in a power outage. Worked great. Where my grill is currently the extension cord is not an issue.

lunatics

Joined Aug 18, 2021
How happy are people with these types of smokers? Do they only use charcoal for the what and smoke or do you also add wood chips/chunks in as well for different flavors?

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.