New build. Thermo placement? Smoke generator placement?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

knine

Original poster
Dec 19, 2010
Finnishing up a build and have a few questions:

where should I put the inlet for my  1" pipe coming from my home made smoke daddy??  center, top, or bottom of smoke chamber???? 

where should I put my thermostats? middle? [i will be able to move them some but only want to drill one hole thru

I started out with a simple elec smoker build and went overboard!!  So far 800 lbs of stainless and hardened steel, 2" mineral wool insulation, Aubrines ramp PID controlling 2 1700 watt finned strip heaters, annother PID controlling a coil for smoke pan.  All controls and relays housed in a ssteel control box with a thermo sensoor cooling fan.  overall a 36" tall 38" x 24" smoke box with a heavh 2x2 hardened steel door wraped in ssteel.  And a 18" tall 38" x 24" heat/smoke chamber that holds the elements covered by a heat shield.  There is a smaller door to access the heat box with fresh air dampers.  Ill post some pics when I get a chance..

Thanks

thermos should always be as close to grill level as possible.  Pix will help with offering the right stack advice....

here is the general layout of the smoker.   I will have to get some better pics but this should give you an idea.

7a4452cb_smoker_layout.jpg

here i some pics of the "lower" door to access the smoke pan burner with inlet dampers.  There is a "big" dor for the smoke box [weighing in at 100 pounds].   And a pic of the door makup before the inner skin is put on

b5ef84ae_imagejpeg_2_9.jpg
3787c861_imagejpeg_2_4.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky