New build/need advise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

expat smoker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Been having this urge to smoke some bacon and other meats and also have what may be the perfect heat/smoke source with a 'Char Griller Acorn' Kamado which is their smallest and has a 4 inch adjustable top vent. Been using it for over a year now and come to the conclusion that it is the best all around BBQ with excellent control of heat & smoke.
Now I'm looking for a 'smoking box' to place the meat and wondering if anyone has [low cost and/or salvage] suggestions that could be converted to a somewhat airtight box with an in and an out controllable vent.
also, thinking that I could connect with flexible aluminum ducting that is used for dryers etc.
your feedback appreciated.............

Put the meat in the Acorn and control the heat to 70-140F.... Depending on what finish you are shooting for...

I planning to try this to cold smoke bluefish, seems like what you're describing.

and for bluefish, it would be nice to just throw everything away after you're finished :emoji_relaxed:

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cold-smoker-conversion/

cold-smoker-conversion-6.jpg

Good ideas guys, I can appreciate the conversion that you pictured Dave and now understand your [mail box] concept.
with my acorn getting quite high temps [up to 400+], I can get some good heat thru the vent and ducting and realize that there will be some loss thru the plumbing, but I think that I could achieve and maintain a 250 for smoking/slow cooking roasts etc if I keep the distance close.
Now, I'm looking for a cheap or salvage smoke box. any Ideas on that Dave??

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky