New Adventure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crawdad

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Ok, I am embarking on a new smoking adventure. My brother and I are going to take one of those huge old gas tanks that farmers have and turn it into a hog smoker and mount it on a trailer (of course well make sure there's no gas taste left in it)

To make things exicting our first smoking exploit with this new smoker is going to be an Ostrich or an Emu, whichever we can get our hands on the cheapest. I'll take plenty of pictures so you'll all be kept up to date.

My brother has an acreage so we're thinking about once we get the ostrich or emu of letting it loose and having a hunt (with pellet rifles) prior to smoking it.

So I would appreciate any feedback on how to best smoke a whole ostrich/emu and any comment on the hunt.

Crawdad, welcome to the SMF, where wild folks do wild things for wild reasons. Actually, we are a very friendly group and are always willing to help each other out. Good hunting.

Can't say I ever remember anyone saying they smoked an Ostrich or an Emu before. This may be a first. I'm not familiar with these critters but being they are birds I'd brine it and smoke it like a big turkey.

I have eatten Ostrich and it did taste similar to a turkeys dark meat so it should be wonderful. Let us know how this goes!

ITS ANOTER HAWKEYE!!!!!!!!!

Welcome man, post up and ask alot, many great folks here.

What part of our great state ya from?

Debi, i'll make sure to keep everyone posted. although it may be next summer before this thing comes to fruition, we have a lot of beer drinking that has to happen before the start of this idea and the finish. But have aquired the gas drum

How about one of those big plastic storage bins like they sell at WalMart? I can take a bath in those things! I store my wood chunks in them.

Actually Debbi I was thinking about getting a syringe and pumping the brine into its heart and letting the heart pump brine into all the meat untill it died of brine poisoning. I think I could get total brineage in about 1 minute.

Just kidding, but wouldn't that be an easy way to brine something?

But seriously thanks for the idea, I think we might try that.

If yall think a pellet rifle is gunna take down one of those dinosaurs with feathers your wrong. Need something no smaller than a .17, otherwise u may be birdless after letting it go. (personal experience)

Welcome to SMF
icon_exclaim.gif

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
happy hunting & fabricating

My brother seems to think we can get one for around a hundred bucks. Not a bad price if you are having a prty

unfortunately it's going to be awhile, next summer probably before it gets done

Welcome. Walmart here has Ostrich on sale for .87/lb. They keep them in a cage right next to the crab tank. I'l have to try it.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I would like to be there to see that! I've got an aresenal of shot guns, mainly suited for duck, dove, geese. Also have a buck shot ready just in case, so I am sure we can take er down somehow! And then we get to smoke her? That sounds like a fun weekend! Add whiskey and wild women (just kiddin hunny) and we could write a book!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky