New Addition To The Fleet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
More Fun for the Big Train!!!
yahoo.gif

Must mean afternoon of the 17th day, or morning of the 18th day.
biggrin.gif

Bear

Congrats on the REC-TEC BigTrain, those are nice units!

Has anybody done a fuel cost comparison from a propane grill to the rec tec pellets? 

Unfortunately that's such a hard thing to do with so many choices out there for pellets, and only one option for propane.
If you buy pellets in bulk, you can get a helladeal, making it cheaper than propane. I know myself, if I stick to what I can find local, which is about $18 for a 20# bag, I'll burn through a bag in about 25 hours at 250F. If I buy in bulk, I can get a 20# bag for about $9. For the most part, depending on the pellet cooker, I would say the average is about a pound an hour (+/-), I haven't timed my propane cooks, but I would guess they are somewhere about the same timeline for a tank, 20-25 hours to one 18lb tank. But that's just me, others may have other experiences.
I have noticed that since I converted to the SSII PID controller from the stock Traeger controller, my pellets last longer.

Last edited:
Bet Big Train has a couple a sick days saved up.......... I hear the flu season may hit in his area in about 1.5 weeks!

Man that is a sharp looking rig. Do you have to get special wax to keep it that shiny? Or just use it enough so the dirt can't settle on it?

Congrats Man.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky