Never been used 12 yrs old # 13468 Oklahoma Joe 16" Horizontal / Vertical Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whiterat

Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
Burlington, Iowa
d5216808_DSCF2450.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Homeroaster
Nice pic nice smoker but a little info would be a good thing

Sorry about the lack of info.  Smoker was purchased 12 yrs ago I was told.  Stored indoors all those years, covered with dust.  Paint exterior and fire boxes in near perfect condition.  Because of it's uniqueness of being that old, an original Ok Joe brand new, I am asking $1500 for it, same price as a new Horizon but without the uniqueness and surely they don't make em like they used to.

Got an email from RD from Horizon today.  I inquired about the serial number and he said
383c748d_DSCF2453.jpg
the smoker was actually built in 1993 in the original Perry OK facility.  It has never had a fire in it.

That is a vertical smoking chamber, has 4 shelves in it and a rod across the center at the top to hang things from.  It runs about 100 degrees cooler than the horizontal chamber, haven't tried it but i'm sure it would bet really hot if you put coals in the horizontal chamber.

More info from their website:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vertical Smoker[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Price List[/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]16" or 20" diameter; offset firebox; triple cooking areas; dual-damper temperature control.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Possibly the most versatile BBQ smoker ever created. This unit allows three different types of cooking simultaneously. The offset firebox (located far right side of unit) contains a charcoal grill perfect for grilling steaks and burgers. The horizontal BBQ chamber (located center) can maintain the ideal barbecuing temperature of 250 degrees for hours. This is the perfect spot for cooking ribs, brisket, pork roasts and chicken. The vertical slow smoking chamber cooks at temperatures from 160 to 200 degrees -- perfect for sausage, fish, turkey, jerky and even cheese. [/size][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-2]Specifications: Firebox: 16” diameter x 20” long. Heavy duty bottom charcoal grate and top grilling grate. Horizontal: 16” diameter x 40” long. 560 square inches of cooking area. Vertical: 16” diameter x 48” tall. Three 15” round cooking racks, and a hanging rod in the top for hanging large items.[/size][/font]

16" Vertical Smoker
$ 1,199.00

Their site:

http://www.hightide.com/horizon2/products.html#

Bearcarver

That's interesting and a little disheartening to me at least.  The following website sells the exact same smoker for $1479!  I was under the impression that this was their homepage.  Bass Pro sells the same smoker for about $2000.  It pays to shop and compare I guess.  I think mine is unique and slightly more valuable because it's an Original Oklahoma Joe.  My wheels are much larger and also made of quarter inch steel.  I would like to compare the two side by side.  I still haven't cooked anything it in.

http://www.horizonbbqsmokersstore.com/servlet/the-Smokers-cln-Backyard-Style-Smokers/Categories

That's interesting and a little disheartening to me at least.  The following website sells the exact same smoker for $1479!  I was under the impression that this was their homepage.  Bass Pro sells the same smoker for about $2000.  It pays to shop and compare I guess.  I think mine is unique and slightly more valuable because it's an Original Oklahoma Joe.  My wheels are much larger and also made of quarter inch steel.  I would like to compare the two side by side.  I still haven't cooked anything it in.

http://www.horizonbbqsmokersstore.com/servlet/the-Smokers-cln-Backyard-Style-Smokers/Categories
whiterat,

Just so you know, I didn't post just to say your price was too high. My post tells the sizes of all chambers & what temp each chamber maintains. The one you have could be built better. I agree, it would be interesting to see them side by side.

Bearcarver

That's okay, I wish I would have got it a little cheaper, i paid 1200 for it, but it's a cool smoker and I'll more than likely end up keeping it.  I certainly won't sell it if I lose money on it.  Much rather pay to much for a nice old smoker than lose money and not have anything!  Probably going to end up at our family cabin.  Looking forward to giving it a try.  I use a Good-One Rodeo model for my business the little competitions I get in.  It's got 120 lbs of butts for a wedding reception in it right now.  Are you familiar with those?  Awesome smoker, tons of room, versatile and very efficient due to the design.  Got a couple green eggs too and I love those for the little family and friends stuff.  Looks like I've become a collector! 

http://thegood-one.com/mid-size-patio-grills/

i've used the marshal and thought it had lot's of room. how does the rodeo do on fuel since it is bigger?

I can't really compare it to a Marshall because I've never used one.  I've had mine about 9 years now and I think it was about 1800 with rib racks.  The thing will hold 40 racks of ribs and smoke em with a small fire.  The upper shelves are slightly warmer than the bottom ones so you have to rotate halfway through your cook but the shelves slide all the way out so its easy. Cooks totally consistent from side to side with a small fire in the center. The firebox runs the entire length of the smoker and serves as a grill.  The damper controls temp on the smoker side.  It has return air vents from the smoker to the firebox.  It will hold perfect temp for several hours.  If you buy one you will be happy with it.  It was designed and built by a guy named Ron Goodwin, hence the name.  He apparently sold out to ace of hearts or hired them for marketing a couple years ago.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky