Neighbors ever complain about smoke???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes I have had neighbors complain. She not only complained but called the cops on me numerous times. She lived in a home across from the apartment complex I lived in. She complained about the pool, about the kids, about people coming and going from the complex. She complained about the garbage truck picking up garbage at 3 in the morning. She complained about delivery trucks at the complex. She complained about people sitting on their balcony or patio.  She was one of those people that complained about EVERYTHING!

I moved. Life it too short to waste time on people like her.

Hey Willie, I did have an experience like that back in my apartment living days.

Neighbor lady complained the smoke from lighting a chimney of coals was coming in her open windows.  She was nice, so I moved my grill to the other end of the patio.

Then the managers called the fire department on me reporting an "illegal fire".  I lifted the lid and showed the fireman a grill full of chicken thighs.  He shook his head and left.  The managers were selling drugs out of their unit, and they knew I was against drugs.

Oh well!

Good luck and good smoking.

I live in a ground floor apartment, and my neighbors all say they love the smell of my smoke...of course having shared some smoked goodies with most of them hasn't hurt either.  My upstairs neighbor says my smoke doesn't bother them, if his brewing beer on his balcony doesn't bother me. Then there are the neighbors who have some "real funny" smelling smoke coming out of their windows...from them I get a, "Dude, what's cookin'?"

It's all good, keep smokin' on!

......... If it was OK for their kids Band to Practice in the Garage next door? All this is part of living in the Burbs. ...JJ
When I was a kid, my next door neighbor had a high school-aged garage band. I must have listened to "IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA"

three thousand times straight.

When I was a kid, my next door neighbor had a high school-aged garage band. I must have listened to "IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA"

three thousand times straight.
ROTF.gif
  Wow! I hope they were Good! We were THAT neighbor! In the late 70's, I played Bass for a Southern Rock band, A few years later my Brother's Heavy Metal band jammed Judas Priest and AC/DC until Dad pounded on the floor and ordered everyone Out! We had very tolerant neighbors and Parents...JJ

Last edited:
My offset is named The Good Neighbor. I haven't gotten any complaints, though. It can have some smoky moments but normally it's just thin blue smoke. This is on a patio slab in a back yard.

Maintenance guys at my apartment complex smelled my smoke today and stopped by just to see what was cooking.  I've got a corned beef point turning into pastrami....they said they would be back later this evening, just to see if I needed anything fixed, of ya, for a sample of pastrami too!

Even with no band next door, I probably LISTENED to Inna Yadda Da Vida 3000 times in high school LOL!
Funny part...I bet a whole Bunch of SMF members reading this...Have no Idea what Y'all are talking about!
biggrin.gif
...JJ

When I lived in Boulder those nosie bastard neighbors of mine started a petition to get the city to not only fine me for the air pollution but get all charcoal and wood burning in the neighborhood banned by zoning the area for gas and electric only..

MY Neighbors hate me and I love it.

Start this 5:00am

Friday 10:00am

• closing pallet ceremony.

Not sure if they hate me but I really don't care.

I don't complain about the music blaring at 2:00am, dogs barking 24 hours a day, neighbor painting my patio and patio furniture and pond while staining their deck. Their illegal deck that isn't zoned and falling apart, the weeds 20' high in back of and along side my house, the ivy that is taking over my yard that I cut back every year, the damage to my home because I didn't clean the gutters quick enough before a heavy rain to remove the billions of helicopters from the neighbor 3 houses away, the cigarette butts I find all over my property and in my pond, the dog shit on my hill and front yard, the neighbors cats messing in my garden and killing the baby birds in the nests that leave the carcasses to rot with maggots that i have to clean up, the newspapers that pile up on my neighbors side but ends up on my side, cars parked so far over my driveway that I cant get out or in my driveway, my yard flooding because the neighbors drain is clogged with years of dirt and my drain can't handle both yards, living with the stench of a pool with 6" of swamp that was so bad I couldn't go on my deck for two years, not only was the smell horrible, the mosquitoes were astronomical, neighbors kids throwing rock and clumps of dirt in the pool and onto my deck, beating my garage door with a wiffleball bent leaving dents everywhere, going into my yard leaving the gate open and letting the turtles out never to be found.

So basically if they leave me alone I leave them alone and if all they have on me is a pit fire a couple times a year and a few smokes and do complain, they are in for a world of hurt and believe me they would not want to get on my bad side.

I do have neighbors that I am close with and some we vacation with, invite to our parties, have rushed them to the ER, spouses funerals, sat with them while the ambulance came, driven the neighbor to the bus stop, help moving furniture for their kids, lend my car, lend my tools, done some woodwork for a few, lend use of my refrigerator when having parties, send over food a lot, let them have free reign of my garden when I am on vacation, climbed through their window when they lost their keys, have been to their children's weddings etc...

I have some older neighbors I will help with minor maintenance and shoveling during the snow, have even helped an elder neighbor move their bed stricken husband quite a few times before he passed.

I even setup a small community herbal garden in front of my house and let the neighbors know to help themselves.

I learned a long time ago that you can't make everyone happy and there is always going to be that person that is mean spirited, miserable and wants to see others fail!

If someones going to complain, don't offer them food, offer them your back, give food to the folks that aren't complaining, trust me on this.

I try to respect others that are like me trying to enjoy their (slice of heaven), funny Jimmy I always say this to my wife

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Those mother F'ers knew how long the blades of my grass were and were concerned my lawn mower was not EPA approved for the environment. Want to live in the most messed up place in the US? Go to Boulder Co.

I usually offer to throw something on the smoker for them while I'm smoking my stuff - I just tell them to go buy it and season it then I'll toss it on while I'm working on my stuff. Needless to say nobody complains about my smoker.

SQWIB...You are a SAINT!  I have put up with normal Neighbor neighbor stuff, Pool parties to late hours, Cat Hoarding stink and multiple Yippee Dogs that don't shut up, but what you have dealt with is above and beyond. Once a year Man Day should not even raise an eyebrow from THOSE Folks...Points for Tolerance...JJ

Last edited:

SQWIB...You are a SAINT!  I have put up with normal Neighbor neighbor stuff, Pool parties to late hours, Cat Hoarding stink and multiple Yippee Dogs that don't shut up, but what you have dealt with is above and beyond. Once a year Man Day should not even raise an eyebrow from THOSE Folks...Points for Tolerance...JJ
Far from a Saint Jimmy and all those gripes are over a 26 year period, so its not as bad as it sounds and I left out the Beer theft from my garage, house being robbed and vandalized by the neighbors sons friends, pot smoking, fireworks out the window at 2am with a 2 year old crying all night, but I complained about them with a baseball bat and could of ended up in jail. Also didn't mention the rotweiller that almost took my arm off, so I started carrying a G#N (think this word is against forum policy) in the yard when my kids were playing, I used to mark the cats with a paintball G#N so the neighbors would confront me because they new I played outlaw paintball. I have calmed down a bit over the years.

My main point is, "take care of the neighbors that take care of you", when the shit hits the fan...so to speak (no I'm not a prepper), they'll be the first to screw you.

I see a lot of folks think playing nice works and no offense to those that feel this way, but a pissed off hornet is a pissed off hornet nothing you can do to change his mind.

I learned a long time ago after my buddy was diagnosed with MS, that we don't have much time together so spend what little time we have with those we want to spend time with...there's no time left for @$$hole neighbors.

So the next time someone feels the urge to appease an a-hole neighbor with some fine "Q" that you spent a lot of money, time and love whipping up, TAKE THAT "Q" TO A GOOD NEIGHBOR INSTEAD, because the GOOD NEIGHBOR   will be there for you when you need them!!!! Where will the bad neighbor be?????

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky