Neighbors ever complain about smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ryanma

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Massachusetts
Hi everyone,

My first smoker is arriving tomorrow, and a bunch of goodies from Todd hopefully around the same time.  I live in an apartment complex, my building has 8 apartments in it.  We all have our own little back wood decks, that's where I keep the grill and plan on smoking there also.

Now I'm beginning to worry about all the long smokes I'll be doing, and if it might piss off any of my neighbors.  Anyone ever had a problem like this?  My lease says grills are allowed but nothing about smokers.  Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I had one confrontation with the neighbor across the street , gave him a chunk of Brisket and now he smiles , hoping to be invited again...

Do it and see how many friends you have all of a sudden . You may even have people from blocks away coming over to beg.....

Where I live we have a steady breeze from the SW. My smokers are located so that the smoke goes down the middle of the yards.

Also an occasional sample of your "cooking art" might have them on the way to the BBQ store to get their own smoker.

Yeah I thinking about just knocking on doors and giving people the heads up, offering them a try if they would like. Hopefully I don't have any vegetarians around... hopefully a dieing breed.

Number one rule on having a big bash..to avoid neighbor complaints, invite them. Unless you have vegetarians/vegans next to you, you should be fine,  Many people don't know the differences between a smoker and a grill so the landlord may be an issue though. If you're getting an electric unit, show them the cord and tell them you have a food/beverage warmer.
pot.gif

Number one rule on having a big bash..to avoid neighbor complaints, invite them. Unless you have vegetarians/vegans next to you, you should be fine,  Many people don't know the differences between a smoker and a grill so the landlord may be an issue though. If you're getting an electric unit, show them the cord and tell them you have a food/beverage warmer.
pot.gif
Hah!  Its actually a Landmann 3895GWLA, ordered from BJ's.

My next door neighbours wife was complaining to her husband loud enough for me to hear that the smoke was getting in the house. He could not talk back because his mouth was full of ribs and wings I gave him.  She kept going on and on until my wife walked over and handed her a "tasting plate" which she claimed "she wasn't hungry", and "no thank you".

5 minutes later the windows on the back of her house closed, and the plate reappeared without a hint of meat on any bone.

I had one confrontation with the neighbor across the street , gave him a chunk of Brisket and now he smiles , hoping to be invited again...

Do it and see how many friends you have all of a sudden . You may even have people from blocks away coming over to beg.....
I gotta agree with Stan!  They can't talk with their mouths full.

Good luck.

I do not have any complaints.  But at least here in MD you are not allowed to use any open flame smoker or grill on an apt deck.  You may want to check on that :)

I also live in the middle of the country with no neighbors, but my son's neighbors that live above him in an apartment building complained about his smoking and the apartment managers shut him down to just grilling; he moves the end of this month...

My neighbors are A-holes so, whether they're mad or drooling over the smoke I really don't give a rats a$$ 
biggrin.gif
 But then again, I don't live in an apartment complex. Good luck, hope it all works out well for you!

No complaints here, either. Just curious neighbors. Gave my next door neighbor on the left (which is usually the direction the wind is blowing) a rack of ribs once, and now I see he got himself a propane smoker of his own for his back yard. Maybe it'll start a chain reaction. 
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
I like what I'm hearing.  Plan on smoking a packer brisket and pork shoulder on the rack above next Monday.  Between myself, my fellow line cooks, and my neighbors, I think I'll be OK.  I want to use the 12" AMNTS, and from what I've been reading it should create good quality smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky