need suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jamesedw1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Kuna, Idaho
I'm smoking a pork shoulder for superbowl and I'm just curious what would chips you would use? I'm thinking apple just because apple wood chips are my favorite to use just curious what you all use

I'm smoking a pork shoulder for superbowl and I'm just curious what would chips you would use? I'm thinking apple just because apple wood chips are my favorite to use just curious what you all use
Apple is what I prefer to use as well.  Hickory is second choice.

Apple, Hickory, Cherry, Pecan..... never tried pecan but everybody else on here loves the heck out of it so I will be getting some. I did my last one with mostly apple and a little hickory for the last few hours and it was awesome. I actually froze most of it for superbowl weekend.

If apple is your favorite then that's what you should use. I happen to really like pecan, as I feel like it falls right in the sweet spot of what I like. Apple is a little light for pulled pork, and hickory is a little too strong. I also really like cherry on things like pork loin and chicken, but I feel like it kinda gets lost on pulled pork.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky